Alkalinity question

Mdbbears34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend I raised my alkalinity to 8.4 tested the tank tonight with hanna alk checker and red sea pro it dropped to 8 on the hanna and 7.9 on the red sea. My question is I only have 1 Lps frag in my tank 2 large colonies of zoas and a lot of coraline. My calcium also tested tonight was 420 red sea and 434 on hanna, has not dropped at all so do I dose alkalinity and not calcium or dose equal parts until it stabilizes. Mag is at 1500 red sea which I do not believe, i checked with an older but not out of date sailifert and it was at 1350. The tank has been up and running for six years. The last time I had coral in it was a year and a half ago, then I screwed up doseing and not testing my water change parameters, everything went south. So I gave up for a bit. Don't want to make the same mistake. Any help would be appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend I raised my alkalinity to 8.4 tested the tank tonight with hanna alk checker and red sea pro it dropped to 8 on the hanna and 7.9 on the red sea. My question is I only have 1 Lps frag in my tank 2 large colonies of zoas and a lot of coraline. My calcium also tested tonight was 420 red sea and 434 on hanna, has not dropped at all so do I dose alkalinity and not calcium or dose equal parts until it stabilizes. Mag is at 1500 red sea which I do not believe, i checked with an older but not out of date sailifert and it was at 1350. The tank has been up and running for six years. The last time I had coral in it was a year and a half ago, then I screwed up doseing and not testing my water change parameters, everything went south. So I gave up for a bit. Don't want to make the same mistake. Any help would be appreciated.

You cannot make calcium decisions based on 1 day.

With a real alk drop of 0.4 dKH per day, calcium will only drop by about 2.5 ppm, which you cannot reliably detect by kit.

I see no reason to not dose equal parts to maintain alk (and by inference, calcium), as long as you are using a product designed for 1:1 dosing (not all are).

OP
OP
M

Mdbbears34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The .4 drop was over 3 days. And I'm useing brs 2 part. So to raise alkalinity back to 8.4 the reef chemistry calculator says to add 37.1ml. So I would devide by 3 since the drop accured over a 3 day period? Which would be 12.3 ml per day of both calcium and alkalinity. If I am off please tell me lol.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within 1 dkh a day is safe. .04 is perfectly fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The .4 drop was over 3 days. And I'm useing brs 2 part. So to raise alkalinity back to 8.4 the reef chemistry calculator says to add 37.1ml. So I would devide by 3 since the drop accured over a 3 day period? Which would be 12.3 ml per day of both calcium and alkalinity. If I am off please tell me lol.

Yes. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back