Alkalinity

drakebuffie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it make sense that my alk could go from8.2 to 2.2 in 2 weeks? I tested 3 times so unless the Hanna tester is busted and it's brand new I got an issue.

Cal is 356 which is low as well. Just did a wc yesterday.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it make sense that my alk could go from8.2 to 2.2 in 2 weeks? I tested 3 times so unless the Hanna tester is busted and it's brand new I got an issue.

No, it does not.
Makes little sense to me.
Error.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Busted Hanna or your salinity has dropped a lot, ato busted maybe? Or your salinity checker needs calibration.

I would put alk dropping that much in two weeks last on the list of things to check.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You say in another thread you test weekly.

What was it last week?

OP
OP
D

drakebuffie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say in another thread you test weekly.

What was it last week?
At this point I test every two weeks last time I tested two weeks ago it was within acceptable ranges I want to say 10 but I'm not sure I know it wasn't out of the ordinary

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't changed anything I've always used the same salt no I didn't test the brand new saltwater but that shouldn't be it it's the same salt I've been using for the last year
I'd test it just to see . Or just take a water sample to LFS

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I test every two weeks last time I tested two weeks ago it was within acceptable ranges I want to say 10 but I'm not sure I know it wasn't out of the ordinary
I's start keeping a log and writing down tests as well as any changes you make. It makes it easier to correlate cause and effect.

I don't think it likely your Alk has dropped from 9 to 3 in a week, although in a heavily stocked tank with no supplementation other then water changes it could happen.

I'd suggest checking your salinity again with a freshly calibrated device as you have had issues with that previously. Use a different test for Alk to compare with the Hanna Checker.

Better still, get your LFS to do a complete set of tests for you.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is highly unlikely that alk dropped from 8.2 to 2.2 in a 75 gallon reef in a week. Very likely that your test kit has expired. Hanna reagents can report incorrectly the longer the reagent is exposed to open air.

OP
OP
D

drakebuffie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat down after dinner and was. Going over directions and. Realized what I was doing wrong. I was putting .1 mil of reggent instead of 1 mil. Makes sense now. dang eyes ain't what they used to be.

I do keep a log book of biweekly test results.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back