All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone is wondering just how far a wrasse can jump out of the tank....

During feeding time yesterday I walked out of the office to grab another cup from the kitchen so I could strain the frozen mysis. The lid was off and I was gone for, literally, 20 seconds. Toward the end of feeding time -- after target feeding some inverts and LPS, and dumping the rest into the tank for the fish -- I noticed that my Blue Flasher was unaccounted for, which was really unusual. I immediately searched around the tank for a carcass but didn't see anything, so I then went into search and rescue mode around the floor of the tank. I looked all over the place, 360 degrees within 3 feet of the stand. I couldn't find anything so I was just hoping that he was tired and decided to go into his rock hole early.

Note to anyone in a similar situation in the future: expand your search area to at least 10 feet around the tank if you suspect a jumper. I walked into my office this morning -- in full sunlight mode -- and saw this... Look behind the chair.

Let my stupidity be a lesson to everyone else. Don't leave the tank uncovered for even a single second, and never underestimate the distance these guys can cover when they jump.

blue dead.jpg

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8B70F3D7-CC3A-4C29-85BD-2D36F7CE6951.jpeg
I feel your pain. I just lost my Blue Flasher yesterday. I found him cooked under the LEDs after squeezing through a 1/2” gap in the glass canopy at the return. On two previous occasion he jumped out right in front of me while I was feeding the tank. It was my favorite wrasse.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's my slippery d*** wrasse. I have two and I guess I've been lucky so far as I don't have a cover and have had them for almost 2 years! They just lays on the sand and stare at me when I sit in front of the tank.
20190310_170546.jpeg

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a diamond tail flasher. Would I have any compatibly issues adding a Royal flasher? Tank is around 88 gallons.
Thanks in advance.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have a diamond tail flasher. Would I have any compatibly issues adding a Royal flasher? Tank is around 88 gallons.
Thanks in advance.
Should be fine. Just be sure to use acclimation box when introducing.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunter,
I am also an avid Wrasse collector, and since I jumped over to R2R from the other forum 2 years back. I never had a chance to read this article!!!
Well done and thank you!!!.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance.
Should be fine. Just be sure to use acclimation box when introducing.
Agree.
Hunter,
I am also an avid Wrasse collector, and since I jumped over to R2R from the other forum 2 years back. I never had a chance to read this article!!!
Well done and thank you!!!.
Thanks!

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree.

Thanks!

Hunter,
Will a female Attenuatus absolutely turn male in an aquarium eventually? Would it be worth picking up a female for $150, given that the males go for upward of $500?

I assume the same compatibility would apply as the rest of the flasher family -- ok with Pintail, Lubbocks and Yellow Streak Fairy Wrasses?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a female Attenuatus absolutely turn male in an aquarium eventually? Would it be worth picking up a female for $150, given that the males go for upward of $500?
Almost certainly, and therefore yes. ;)
I assume the same compatibility would apply as the rest of the flasher family -- ok with Pintail, Lubbocks and Yellow Streak Fairy Wrasses?
Should be okay. Acclimation box as always.

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria sells Halichoeres biocellatus from Fiji, Indonesia, New Caledonia and Vanuatu. Are there notable differences in appearance between the fish in those different regions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria sells Halichoeres biocellatus from Fiji, Indonesia, New Caledonia and Vanuatu. Are there notable differences in appearance between the fish in those different regions?
No visible differences.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should be fine here, but want to make sure.

I currently have a yellow corris wrasse whos been the only wrasse in my tank for a couple months now. I recently found a wraase I've been looking for for a long time(LFS's in these parts are hard to come by, and shipping fish has not ended up well for me) A tanaka's pygmy wrasse.

I don't think there will be any aggression between them, but am open to any suggestions. I also plan on adding in a black leopard at some point as well.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should be fine here, but want to make sure.

I currently have a yellow corris wrasse whos been the only wrasse in my tank for a couple months now. I recently found a wraase I've been looking for for a long time(LFS's in these parts are hard to come by, and shipping fish has not ended up well for me) A tanaka's pygmy wrasse.

I don't think there will be any aggression between them, but am open to any suggestions. I also plan on adding in a black leopard at some point as well.
They should all be fine together.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I thought so, but wanted to make sure. Would you use an acclimation box for any of them?
An acclimation box shouldn't be necessary for the pygmy wrasse, but I would use it for the leopard.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again thank you both. Do you have any recommendations for an acclimation box? I cannot find the EA one on the web anywhere, and I'm not on the book of faces to ping them for one.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again thank you both. Do you have any recommendations for an acclimation box? I cannot find the EA one on the web anywhere, and I'm not on the book of faces to ping them for one.
Just Googling around, but the "Tanklimate" piques my interest. No idea about any of its flaws however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back