Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by evolved, Aug 4, 2016.

All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Below, you will find sections about: these guidelines, wrasses which qualify as reef safe, the general requirements, feeding, shipping,...
By evolved, Aug 4, 2016 | |
  1. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

Wrasses handle prazi fine. It is an advisable part of qt.

evolved and ruth howard like this.

2. ruth howard

ruth howard Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

Thank you. That eases my mind.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  3. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm rather untimely in a response here, but I agree with eatbreakfast and personally I always do 2 rounds of it in QT.

saltyhog, FLG, stevo01 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Baldguy

Baldguy Well-Known Member

I've always loved the Eight-lined Flasher. Hunter, in your description you say they are "Much more aggressive than most Paracheilinus, and even some Cirrhilabrus, but is still compatible with both". Does that mean that he would be top dog but still get along or should I avoid this flasher? Too risky to take a chance on?

5. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

In 4'+ systems, eightline flashers will work their way to the top of the hierarchy, and are best added after more passive wrasse species.

6. Baldguy

Baldguy Well-Known Member

Thanks TJ. Mine is a 4ft tank. I think I'll have to pass.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  7. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Completely depends on the tank size. If large enough, yes - things will be just fine.
    And I agree with that rule of thumb. I tend to think of it as a >120 gallon species for safe mixing.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  8. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Mr. MACNA Talk knows his stuff!

9. evolved

Shhhh! Don't build their expectations too high!!!

Maritimer likes this.
  10. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Ha ha! I will attend my first MACNA talk this year when Hunter speaks. This is one I'm interested in! :D

11. evolved

You've done yourself a disservice not attending any presentations the past 2 years... ;Facepalm
    I've seen several during that time which were certainly more valuable than mine will be.

12. Stolireef

Stolireef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Great write-up. Unfortunately, my little brain will require frequent visits to this article when purchasing my first/next wrasse.

evolved likes this.
  13. Wael Binali

Wael Binali Member

Oh Crap! I wish I had read this first, lol. I have a tank with a small six line, a tang, 2 clowns and a cleaner wrasse that eats like a pig and seems to be doing great.... And I wanted more wrasses.... But now that I have read what everyone is saying about the six line.... gggrrrr, he's very small. I wanted a trio of leopards and a melanarus. If I change the rockscape completely (wihout damaging the coral) will that work to have the six line think he's in a different space?

14. eatbreakfast

Unlikely. It may work if he doesn't think he is a sixline anymore, but otherwise if you want leopards rehome the sixline.

stevo01 likes this.
  15. stevo01

stevo01 R33F!N @DD!CT R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

Lol was just about to tag you.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  16. evolved

Agree with eatbreakfast; unfortunately that won't work. It will need to be outright removed before you add any new wrasses.
    So am I just chopped liver on my own article? lol :p ;Dead ;Eggonface

stevo01 and eatbreakfast like this.
  17. stevo01

Oh, not at all! Sorry about that bud I have the up most respect for both you. I love reading your articles. This was simply a case where i was quickly responding during my breakfast break at work. Naturally "eatbreakfast" comes to mind. And of course he's right on top of it before I was able to respond hahaha!

evolved and eatbreakfast like this.
  18. stevo01

I'm very thankful for you guys!

eatbreakfast likes this.
  19. stevo01

I remember having a self giggle when I tagged TJ as I was eating yogurt and a doughnut.

20. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Maacc, Maritimer, evolved and 3 others like this.