Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Wasn’t sure what the best way to say easy name was lol

Why haven’t they been imported? That rare?

That is the name of this species. It is not imported, as far as I know (not that I know a lot about this topic) so there is not a common name, other than Alfian's Flasher wrasse.
I am a bit confused, as that is the name. The common name is simply Alfian's Flasher.
But as OrionN says, it is not available in the trade as it stands.

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunter is awesome!! Excellent article and thank you for helping us all with such great information!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why haven’t they been imported? That rare?
Just because a species exists, doesn't mean it's in the trade. (Collection logistics and permits drive most of what's available)
"rarity" is often a bit misused - when we use that term in the trade, it's meant only to say it's rarely collected, not actually rare in natural occurrence.
Hunter is awesome!! Excellent article and thank you for helping us all with such great information!
Thank you!

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Was wondering why since I saw the post on Reef Builder was from 2016. It looks amazing so I hope it will be available one day.

Just because a species exists, doesn't mean it's in the trade. (Collection logistics and permits drive most of what's available)
"rarity" is often a bit misused - when we use that term in the trade, it's meant only to say it's rarely collected, not actually rare in natural occurrence.

solo_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

i have two wrasses in QT.
My problem is how can i transfer them to DT they burry them selfs in the sand bed ? And how many hours should i acclimation them ?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two wrasses in QT.
My problem is how can i transfer them to DT they burry them selfs in the sand bed ?
Experience. :) But really, they're pretty easy to catch once you've got a trained hand at it. If they bury, you can always scoop them out, sand and all, into a collection cup.
And how many hours should i acclimation them ?
Ideally, your QT temp, pH, and salinity should all match your DT by the time you're done with QT. And if those 3 parameters do match, acclimation isn't really necessary.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Experience. :) But really, they're pretty easy to catch once you've got a trained hand at it. If they bury, you can always scoop them out, sand and all, into a collection cup.

Ideally, your QT temp, pH, and salinity should all match your DT by the time you're done with QT. And if those 3 parameters do match, acclimation isn't really necessary.
This. Far less stress on the fish. Good luck!

solo_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks alot . I ask because some people said if you take the wrasses from the sand they will be panic and die;/ but now i will try your way

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So reading this article for like the 10th time it makes me want to fill the void my McCosker's left.

Current 40 Breeder Stocking:
2x Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1x Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto)
1x Orange Spot Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)
1x Yellow "Not-So-Coris" Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
1x Longnose Hawk (Oxycirrhites typus)
1x Bangaii Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni)

Presently looking at the Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus flavianalis) and the Blue Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus cyaneus) as potential options on their own if not both.

Assuming I introduced them at the same time would a 36" tank give them both enough swimming space to coexist or would I be better off getting one?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presently looking at the Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus flavianalis) and the Blue Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus cyaneus) as potential options on their own if not both.

Assuming I introduced them at the same time would a 36" tank give them both enough swimming space to coexist or would I be better off getting one?
You'd probably be okay with both, but it does come with some risk of conflict, of course. So if that concerns you, one is definitely safer.

Evieeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey evolved what do you think of the wrasse gallon rating in this guide? I'm planning on setting up a 40 gallon 23.62” x 19.68” x18.89” aquarium (refugium, skimmer, separate pod culture) and wanted 2 or 3 wrasses to go into the aquarium. I was thinking the melanurus , yellow and carpenter flasher wrasse but I'm getting mixed answers on if the melanurus and yellow wrasses can be kept in a 40 gallon or not. Would they be ok to be kept in a 40 alone or in that group?

Also unrelated to the question above, would a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse or another smaller leopard wrasse be okay in a 40 gallon in your opinion? Would really love to keep one but it seems that 40 is likely too small for these guys?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey evolved what do you think of the wrasse gallon rating in this guide?
Strongly disagree with all of them, sans for the possum and pink streak.
I'm planning on setting up a 40 gallon 23.62” x 19.68” x18.89” aquarium (refugium, skimmer, separate pod culture) and wanted 2 or 3 wrasses to go into the aquarium. I was thinking the melanurus , yellow and carpenter flasher wrasse but I'm getting mixed answers on if the melanurus and yellow wrasses can be kept in a 40 gallon or not. Would they be ok to be kept in a 40 alone or in that group?
Unfortunately, a 40 is not big enough for most all Halichoeres wrasses. It will work for Paracheilinus, though.
Also unrelated to the question above, would a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse or another smaller leopard wrasse be okay in a 40 gallon in your opinion? Would really love to keep one but it seems that 40 is likely too small for these guys?
And it's also not big enough for Macropharyngodon either, I'm afraid.

Evieeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strongly disagree with all of them, sans for the possum and pink streak.

Unfortunately, a 40 is not big enough for most all Halichoeres wrasses. It will work for Paracheilinus, though.

And it's also not big enough for Macropharyngodon either, I'm afraid.
Thanks! So in the 40 I should stick to possum/pink streak + flashers as my options? Passing on 6 line based on past experiences.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So in the 40 I should stick to possum/pink streak + flashers as my options? Passing on 6 line based on past experiences.
Those are safe bets!
There's a few Cirrhilabrus in the smallest complexes that could work, too.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved would there be any of the fairy wrasses that would do well in a 40 cube?
What are the tank dimensions?
In a standard 3' long 40, there are a couple complexes that can. But if it's only 2' long, I wouldn't recommend any. It just doesn't offer enough swimming space.

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the tank dimensions?
In a standard 3' long 40, there are a couple complexes that can. But if it's only 2' long, I wouldn't recommend any. It just doesn't offer enough swimming space.

It’s a 2x2x2 cube, I guess I will just pass, thanks.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved thoughts on having these wrasse's together? TIA!
  • Labout's Wrasse
  • Pair Hawaiian Flame Wrasse's
  • Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
Okay, but don't do a pair of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back