All for reef help

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody using all for reef notice your calcium and magnesium raise and the alk stays the same ? Any tips to keep it stable any help would be appreciated thanks.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody using all for reef notice your calcium and magnesium raise and the alk stays the same ? Any tips to keep it stable any help would be appreciated thanks.
I’m assuming you just recently started dosing AFR?
this is a very known “issue” that’s due to the fact that the calcium formate in it has to be broken down by bacteria in the tank to release the Alk portion, so you will generally see a “Lag” in the time it takes for the alk to start working. Usually within a week or so.
you can dose small amounts of baking soda in the mean time till the bacteria starts working.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a very known “issue” that’s due to the fact that the calcium formate in it has to be broken down by bacteria in the tank to release the Alk portion, so you will generally see a “Lag” in the time it takes for the alk to start working. Usually within a week or so.
you can dose small amounts of baking soda in the mean time till the bacteria starts working.
This lag goes away and only returns when you go from a constant dose to adding more right? As the extra format needs time to be broken down? This means AFR is not a great for correcting low alk fast!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef is something you start to use when your parameters are where you want them, it will take a few days to reflect the dosing/increase like said above

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lag goes away and only returns when you go from a constant dose to adding more right? As the extra format needs time to be broken down? This means AFR is not a great for correcting low alk fast!
Correct, it’s meant for maintaining levels rather than correcting/adjusting

you can do a correction dose with baking soda to quickly adjust the level to where you want it and then maintain that level with the AFR.

OP
OP
Ricsreef

Ricsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Started about 3 weeks ago stayed stable but the tests yesterday showed the calcium and magnesium had raised but the alkalinity has stayed the same seems I need to knock my dose down a bit so I’ll do that and see we’re in at thanks for your reply

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but I'm having similar issues. My alk is holding fast but my calcium and magnesium is lagging. I called Lou, he said he actually likes to see people base the dose off of the calcium levels.
In either case the move is to adjust what is lagging and you'll more than likely see an increase in overall consumption of all for reef

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back