Possible tank crash - loosing all corals

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been having difficulties since I recently moved place with my 90g tank. Ive been struggling with alkalinity (always seems to be below 4). i tried using baking soda to bring it up with no luck. My LFS recommended I test calcium, salinity and magnesium alongside a large water change (I use the red sea coral pro). I have done this and still all parameters are whack. Id appreciate any tips if anyone has any.

Parameters:
Salinity: 1.025
Calcium: 305
Magnesium: 750
Alkalinity: 2.6

During this period I have lost all of my torches (5 total) all of my SPS except my birds nest which is hanging on by a thread. My zoas are alive but all retracted. Thankfully the fish are happy. Inverts are mostly fine - my Mexican turbo snails seem very unhappy though.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into Red Sea foundation B if alk needs to be raised, also are you sure that the test kit is right? 2.6 is very low and most definitely alarming.

I would suggest Red Sea foundation B to bring it back up

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been testing everyday for ~ the past two weeks and it has slowly dropped from 4 to 2.6 today even after doing ~30g water change. Ill take a look into foundation B thanks.
I have even started dosing 20ml per day of all for reef which should be fine given all my corals have withered RIP and that doesn't seem to help.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been having difficulties since I recently moved place with my 90g tank. Ive been struggling with alkalinity (always seems to be below 4). i tried using baking soda to bring it up with no luck. My LFS recommended I test calcium, salinity and magnesium alongside a large water change (I use the red sea coral pro). I have done this and still all parameters are whack. Id appreciate any tips if anyone has any.

Parameters:

During this period I have lost all of my torches (5 total) all of my SPS except my birds nest which is hanging on by a thread. My zoas are alive but all retracted. Thankfully the fish are happy. Inverts are mostly fine - my Mexican turbo snails seem very unhappy though.
Are you sure your refractometer is properly calibrated? Everything is really low. Makes me think your salinity is off, way off. If that’s the case then everything would be off too.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you just moved your tank...
Did you lose your cycle?

Have you tested the Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate?

Going though Trident logs when i was cycling, i realized cycling itself would leach Alk.

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your refractometer is properly calibrated? Everything is really low. Makes me think your salinity is off, way off. If that’s the case then everything would be off too.
I have another nano tank which all my test kits + refractometer are reading correctly for so I don't think its that.

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you just moved your tank...
Did you lose your cycle?

Have you tested the Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate?

Going though Trident logs when i was cycling, i realized cycling itself would leach Alk.
When i say recently i mean around 2.5 months ago - most of the water I transferred from before and all corals recovered well after the move - I have an ammonia reader in the tank which is reading safe.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another nano tank which all my test kits + refractometer are reading correctly for so I don't think its that.
It’s just super odd since you’re doing large water changes. Have you tested your salt mix before adding it to your tank? Might help to at least know what parameters are like prior to adding to the tank.

Which test kits are you using?

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just super odd since you’re doing large water changes. Have you tested your salt mix before adding it to your tank? Might help to at least know what parameters are like prior to adding to the tank.

Which test kits are you using?
Good idea i will test the salt water now as I make large batches and store. For salinity I have refractometer. Alkalinity, calcium, nitrates and [phosphates I have a hanna checker and I use the salifert kit for magnesium

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Can you move your corals to your other tank while you remedy the problem?

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your mag is this low, this is a big problem as none of your parameters will be stable and you will experience precipitation issues at these levels. These numbers make me think you're testing is way off because you're salt mix would be closer than these numbers.

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your mag is this low, this is a big problem as none of your parameters will be stable and you will experience precipitation issues at these levels. These numbers make me think you're testing is way off because you're salt mix would be closer than these numbers.
The new place i moved to space is limited so the water I store is kept outside in a trash can (plastic). Do you think the Miami heat could potentially affect the water parameters being stored in higher temperatures?

Jimbobalou622

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi all,

Parameters:

How old are the reagents from the test kits?

Jimbobalou622

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi all,

Parameters:

Too large of a water change can cause a bigger swing

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new place i moved to space is limited so the water I store is kept outside in a trash can (plastic). Do you think the Miami heat could potentially affect the water parameters being stored in higher temperatures?
I wouldn’t think that you would see such huge disparities so quickly. I would definitely test your salt mix fresh and see what you get. You might be surprised with results.

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wouldn't think so. First thing I would make sure your salinity is good. Then you're going to need to get your magnesium up to at least 1200. Any less and your alk and calcium will just precipitate out. It probably already has and perhaps this is causing your low numbers. Check your pumps and make sure they aren't full of white gummy stuff(calcium carbonate). If you are doing large water changes you should have better parameters as long as your salt mix is good. I would test that but you really need to get that mag up then your alk. Don't raise mag more than 100 ppm per day and alk 1.4 dkh per day. Once your mag is at least 1200 you can dose calc no more than 50 ppm per day.

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t think that you would see such huge disparities so quickly. I would definitely test your salt mix fresh and see what you get. You might be surprised with results.
I just tested my fresh saltwater i made earlier today and the Alk reading came in at 2.5. Although the test vial does look low. Is it really possible that fresh saltwater from red sea coral pro can be that low...
IMG_2172.jpg

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem likely. Are you sure that your syringe is drawing enough solution? I've had my syringe go bad or solution get low

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my fresh saltwater i made earlier today and the Alk reading came in at 2.5. Although the test vial does look low. Is it really possible that fresh saltwater from red sea coral pro can be that low...
IMG_2172.jpg
I think you should have your LFS test your water. I REALLY doubt that your salt mix could be that far off. You’ve also said that your water from your nano is normal. Something really weird is going on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back