Bacterial Bloom

franklin5599

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have a bacteria bloom going on. I have added a UV light and manually removed all the strings. The strings are getting better but the cloudiness is not. I am also having a very hard time with my magnesium and calcium levels. I keep adding supplements but the levels are not going up. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank. I have been adding 3 teaspoons of magnesium daily and 3 cap fulls of liquid calcium. The levels are continuing to read 380 for the calcium and 1140 for the magnesium. I am using salifert test for both. My corals are dying. Please help.
The fish, crabs and snails in the tank are fine. The ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite and phos are all testing at 0. My salt is at 1.026

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your alkalinity?

Nitrates and phosphates at zero = bad.

I think you have something else going on. My guess (and it’s only a guess) is your alkalinity is gonna be too high.

Need more info.
Alkalinity?
A picture would be good
I question a bacterial bloom considering you have no apparent nutrient in your system—-could be calcium precipitation.
What strings????

I would suggest you stop dosing before you know what your are 100% dealing with.

OP
OP
F

franklin5599

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your alkalinity?

Nitrates and phosphates at zero = bad.

I think you have something else going on. My guess (and it’s only a guess) is your alkalinity is gonna be too high.

Need more info.
Alkalinity?
A picture would be good
I question a bacterial bloom considering you have no apparent nutrient in your system—-could be calcium precipitation.
What strings????

I would suggest you stop dosing before you know what your are 100% dealing with.
The alkanity is at 14. We had really good numbers and then added corals and 5 days later poof it was bad. We have done water changes and filter changes. Everything is slimmey. I have also been adding MicroBacteria

Attachments

• tank).jpg
    tank).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
F

franklin5599

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkanity is at 14. We had really good numbers and then added corals and 5 days later poof it was bad. We have done water changes and filter changes. Everything is slimmey. I have also been adding MicroBacteria
This picture looks good. We had strands of white off all the rocks, heaters and corals. That is what we have removed 2x

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back