All For Reef Overdosing Trace Elements?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch to carbocalcium and dose the trace independently based on lcp testing

Honestly, i feel dosing according to icp is impractical given the cost, how long it takes to get the result back. There is no way you could simply figure out daily or even weekly consumption based off icp unless you know they are getting processed at the same time interval every time you test it. ICP is better for figuring out if something is wrong rather than for adjusting dosing.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about All For Reef.
So my lightly stocked 7-month-old tank has been using a fair amount of Alk. I try to keep it at 9dKH. A little over 2 months ago I decided to start using All For Reef to maintain my Alk levels, which it does quite well. Alk, Calcium, Magnesium are all stable. However, since dosing I have noticed my corals look a little less healthy. Not dying or withering but less perky. So, I am curious if it is possible I am overdosing trace elements for which I can't test.

I only suspect AFR because I stopped dosing for 2 weeks and things started to perk up again.

Thoughts?

What did you dose when you stopped the all for reef? Do you know what your pH level is?

Also when you say you try to keep alk at 9, what does that mean? Is it that it's not always that and swings frequently or that it just slightly goes up and down from 9? The way all for reef raises alk is a bit strange so if you test for alk after dosing then you are not actually getting accurate readings since it takes an unknown time to actually get alk to get raised

muffinmanX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about All For Reef.
So my lightly stocked 7-month-old tank has been using a fair amount of Alk. I try to keep it at 9dKH. A little over 2 months ago I decided to start using All For Reef to maintain my Alk levels, which it does quite well. Alk, Calcium, Magnesium are all stable. However, since dosing I have noticed my corals look a little less healthy. Not dying or withering but less perky. So, I am curious if it is possible I am overdosing trace elements for which I can't test.

I only suspect AFR because I stopped dosing for 2 weeks and things started to perk up again.

Thoughts?
Coincidentally i do have the same issue.
dosing 40ml now and i believe it is still insufficient for my 500li tank as my kh is about 7.5, calcium 300 and magnesium 1150.

the rest of the parameters are good. i'm using the powder form of AFR and it doesnt mix well. water volume seems cloudy.. i suspect this is the case as the AFR particles are in direct touch with the corals... i do have a power head in the compartment of the sum that i dosed in..

my gsp didnt like it at first.. one of my mantipora is dead...

so perhaps try mixing it well.. i heard it takes longer to mix, compared to mixing reef salt...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back