All For Reef Overdosing Trace Elements?

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about All For Reef.
So my lightly stocked 7-month-old tank has been using a fair amount of Alk. I try to keep it at 9dKH. A little over 2 months ago I decided to start using All For Reef to maintain my Alk levels, which it does quite well. Alk, Calcium, Magnesium are all stable. However, since dosing I have noticed my corals look a little less healthy. Not dying or withering but less perky. So, I am curious if it is possible I am overdosing trace elements for which I can't test.

I only suspect AFR because I stopped dosing for 2 weeks and things started to perk up again.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do plan on doing that soon. I guess I was more curious if others had a similar experience or if AFR even contains enough of the trace elements that it would even be possible to overdose them.

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a high demand 30 gallon sps tank which is on 43 mLs of AFR daily. I lost some stuff when I switched from kalk to AFR, but I think that was expected as I had a bunch of alk swings. I noticed that most acros are doing really well now and have some decent colors and great growth, but a few of my montis/digis had better colors and more polyp extension when I was dosing kalk in the ATO. I'm not sure if it's due to overdosing trace elements as you said, or if they just preferred the higher pH.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered about that also as I dose 40ml/day into a roughly 50g frag system with primarily LPS. Been meaning to do an ICP just for kicks to see where trace elements are at. Everything seems to be doing well though and alk is stable around 8.8ish. Ca is over 500 though so makes me wonder if I am overdosing but I want to keep alk around 8.8-9 so it matches my DT which is in that range with a CaRx.

OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I am even more intrigued now. I was curious how an all-in-one could maintain levels without causing others to be elevated. Maybe it can't?

Last edited:

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about All For Reef.
So my lightly stocked 7-month-old tank has been using a fair amount of Alk. I try to keep it at 9dKH. A little over 2 months ago I decided to start using All For Reef to maintain my Alk levels, which it does quite well. Alk, Calcium, Magnesium are all stable. However, since dosing I have noticed my corals look a little less healthy. Not dying or withering but less perky. So, I am curious if it is possible I am overdosing trace elements for which I can't test.

I only suspect AFR because I stopped dosing for 2 weeks and things started to perk up again.

Thoughts?
I have been using for a year and a half and I am up to 35 ml a day. No issues and ICP either comes in on the money or a little low. I think it’s something else. All I dose is AFR and a little aminos but I am going to start Kent Iodide because it’s always low On the salifert test. SPS is killin it and I don’t too heavy just very even

Attachments

• 0AA061A7-99E5-4A93-A92C-09256125DBF1.jpeg
    0AA061A7-99E5-4A93-A92C-09256125DBF1.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 0190F6B3-42F7-4A25-A3E0-78A246836FDD.jpeg
    0190F6B3-42F7-4A25-A3E0-78A246836FDD.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 236
  • B98E0B65-39FD-496A-841B-B5FF3904D15A.jpeg
    B98E0B65-39FD-496A-841B-B5FF3904D15A.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 230

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using for a year and a half and I am up to 35 ml a day. No issues and ICP either comes in on the money or a little low. I think it’s something else. All I dose is AFR and a little aminos but I am going to start Kent Iodide because it’s always low On the salifert test. SPS is killin it and I don’t too heavy just very even
Very nice brother!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?

Unlikely, IMO, for it to be overdosing trace elements to a degree that causes coral problems.

But it is certainly easy to experiment with other calcium and alk products and see if things get better for whatever reason. :)

OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that your ICP is coming back where it should. That helps alleviate some of my concerns.
The tank looks great!

OP
OP
Revnobody

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely, IMO, for it to be overdosing trace elements to a degree that causes coral problems.

But it is certainly easy to experiment with other calcium and alk products and see if things get better for whatever reason. :)
Hi Randy! Thanks for the reply. I will resume my AFR dosage and see how the corals react. If negatively, I will just go back to 2 part.

The tank is still very young so it could be a coincidence that PE improved after stopping AFR.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the similar response when I switched from BRS 2 Part, to a homemade AFR. It was a gradual change but some corals really didn't like it. As soon I switched back everything was fine. I run the BRS/TM Hybrid now with low traces and have no issues.

I love the concept of the AFR but my tank didn't take well to it for whatever reason.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back