All-for-reef powder went hard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My all for reef powder has gone a bit hard and clumpy in the tub is it still ok to use?

Also, there is always a fine powder left undissolved at the bottom when mixing it up, what is this?
The AFR POWDER is a little "damp" feeling and a little "clumpy" from day one. It always presents like this and it does not effect the product or how it mixes at all.

As for the undissolved powder, this is not usual at all. Try using just a little more water than you are currently using, and see if that solves the issue. If not, email me at [email protected] and I will try to help you figure out what is going on.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a small increase in PH right after dosing on my Apex. It gets dosed into the same chamber of the sump as the probe. Is this normal? I thought it had no effect on PH?
AFR has no effect on overall pH. When doing continuous, electronic monitoring, we are sometimes able to pick up small variations of parameters that don't really translate to the system as a whole. You could try dosing in a different chamber. Or also placing the monitor in a different chamber. My guess is that, if you were probing the system in the main display, you would not see that at all.

If the bump in pH you are seeing is more than what I am describing, or you have more concerns about this issue, just shoot me an email to [email protected] and I can go through it in more detail with you.

jaime31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My all for reef powder has gone a bit hard and clumpy in the tub is it still ok to use?

Also, there is always a fine powder left undissolved at the bottom when mixing it up, what is this?
Hey idk if you figured it out yet but I had the same problem. I had it mixing on a magnetic stirrer for almost 24hrs at around 80-88F and still that very fine power would not dissolve. So I boiled some distilled water and slowly added it to the AFR as it was still mixing. The fine stuff was completely dissolved within 15 seconds. The water reached 110F

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jaime31 @recci ... The AFR Powder often looks a little "wet" or "clumpy". This is completely normal and is seen in most containers. When you are mixing the powder with RO/DI water, understand the the resulting solution is very nearly supersaturated. This means that there is sometimes a small amount of the powder that does not dissolve completely. This shows as a slight "dustiness" in the bottom of the mixing container. @jaime31 The fine powder that was at the bottom of your mixing container dissolved because you added a little more water. It had very little to do with the temperature. All of this is very normal.
If you have other questions, I am always available. Good luck! :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mixed up 4 batches of this over the weekend and each time the powder mixed within 20 minutes. By 30 minutes the 2000 ml beaker was clear. Poured it into a larger storage container and it is ready to use.

Only tip I could recommend is to use room temp or luke warm rodi water. I fill beaker, drop in magnetic pill, turn on low, let sit for a bit. While that is going I get scale, plate, zero out, measure 6 scoops of AFR powder (it is dang and somewhat clumpy like Lou notes above, and see if I'm at 160 g. Usually I need to add a half scoop because I do not pack it. Anyway I now go back and slowly add this to the beaker. 20 minutes later it is usually clear 30 minutes worse case.

Great product I have to say. Thanks for offering the DIY component recipe and now the powder. Powder is a gem.

Hooknit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having a issue mixing the powder. The first time was great. This second time I put some of the lumps in the RO water. I have been stirring it for about 4 hours now on and off. I still have grain and sediment in the bottom.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having a issue mixing the powder. The first time was great. This second time I put some of the lumps in the RO water. I have been stirring it for about 4 hours now on and off. I still have grain and sediment in the bottom.
If you have put the full amount of AFR powder in the solution, it is not unusual to see some undissolved solids, even after a long mixing time. This is due to the fact the the solution is very close to, or even fully, supersaturated when fully dissolved. Any small amount of residual powder does not affect the potency or use of the product. And it doesn't do anything detrimental even if some of that residual powder makes its way into your system. All of this is pretty normal to see from time to time.

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always give mine a good shake before mixing. Remember to check the lid is on firmly otherwise you and half the room will be covered in AFR. Guess how I know :rolleyes:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back