ALL FOR REEF with CURRENT ALK of 10.5

AtlanticGail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current Alkalinity is 10.5, Calcium is 390 & magnesium is 1290. Question is can I start dosing all for reef or is my alkalinity too high?

tangerine_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to run your Alk that high then you could use All for Reef to maintain those levels. Some reefers swear by running higher Alk levels but just know it does put you closer to the upper range of what is recommended.

OP
OP
A

AtlanticGail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to run your Alk that high then you could use All for Reef to maintain those levels. Some reefers swear by running higher Alk levels but just know it does put you closer to the upper range of what is recommended.
So the only option is to use a salt with a lower alkalinity?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose AFR to any reasonable alk value, although 10.5 is in the upper range of what most reefers like to be at. I would say pick a salt mix whose alk value is where you'd like to be, and use AFR to stay within a small range of that value.

Edit: if your alkalinity consumption is low, then you may not need to dose and get away with regular water changes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see why one would want to dose AFR if alk is already where you want it or higher. If the dosing is for trace elements, then use a trace element product such as Tropic Marin A and K.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see why one would want to dose AFR if alk is already where you want it or higher. If the dosing is for trace elements, then use a trace element product such as Tropic Marin A and K.
For the ease of it, only one dose versus 2 ?

Do you see any drawback to using AFR when alkalinity is where you want it, other than alk increasing a bit more maybe?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the ease of it, only one dose versus 2 ?

Do you see any drawback to using AFR when alkalinity is where you want it, other than alk increasing a bit more maybe?

Well, you won’t be able to add much without alk rising above your target, while that is not a limitation to dosing just trace elements.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back