All in one biopellets

frankiereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago I installed a AIObiopellets reactor for reduce phosphate and nitrate from my tank. But I see some posible reaction in my sps. I did the whole procedure as they indicated, I would like to share what I observed during the process. Is this normal when you add AIOBP to the system? My corals and my SPS look tiny and deflated. The levels of nitrate and phosphate are starting to drop (which is very good). My skimmer runs like crazy and I clean it twice a week. My rocks look better and cleaner. There are some green algae dying and floating in the tank. But I worry that my corals do not look good and not healthy. Please someone can let me know what I should do about it to keeps my corals alive.

OP
OP
frankiereef

frankiereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate is 20ppm. If the biopellets reduce the phosphate and the green algae is starting dying its probably to raise the ammonia a little? This could be a possibility. I will test my ammonia.

OP
OP
frankiereef

frankiereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fan of biopellets for other reasons, but it isn't "normal" to rapidly see a problem.

Is there still adequate nitrate for the corals?
My nitrate is 20ppm. If the biopellets reduce the phosphate and the green algae is starting dying its probably to raise the ammonia a little? This could be a possibility. I will test my ammonia.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Frankie, Did You use the recommended amount of pellets? I used the amount they suggested when I used a pellet reactor . It worked very well for cutting the algae but my corals did the same thing You describe. I ran the thing for a good while but my corals suffered. I "think" 1/2 the amount would have been better. Slower changes & You can always add more in the future maybe. There are more experienced people here . I'd like to hear what they say.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been running biopellets for years now. If you saw a redux in no3/po4 in 2 weeks...that’s pretty quick but i suppose feasible. I assume you seeded with bacteria amd have your flow rates of effluent and media tumble monitored. Keep your tank feeding (fish and/or coral consistent if not heavier and keep reading your nutrient parameters monitored.

If you are observing negative sps reaction consider slowing the effluent rate and go easy. Consider adding aminos to re-invigorate.

You want no3&po4 to reduce proportionately, not necessarily quickly. If you become nitrogen depleted remember this will stall ability to further reduce po4.

Ive tried many brands and settled with AIO pellets from reef interests.

I struggled for a while with bio pellets never had adverse coral reaction perse but struggled with products (various brands of media) and concepts (nitrifying bacteria, deplete/replenish mentality, properly tuning reactor) and effectiveness until things came into balance

Bio pellets are one of my favorite topics often ridiculed unfortunately. It is a highly effective means of nutrient export (among others).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio pellets are one of my favorite topics often ridiculed unfortunately. It is a highly effective means of nutrient export (among others).

Why do you prefer it to soluble organic carbon dosing?

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been using biopellets in my 90 for the past 2 years. I used liquid carbon ( vinegar) in my Biocube. It worked well but the tank developed the white bacteria slime which was a PITA to deal with. It was probably due to my limited ability to skim. I also also had a difficult time dialing in and maintimg a stable pH. Maybe my experience was atypical. I wanted to try another method of Nitrate export in the new build. So I decided on biopellet, skimming and chaeto for the 90. I have found the biopellets to be set it and forget it. I have had no issues with nutrient export. In fact if anything my water is to clean and I am in the process of letting the biopellets deplete

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using biopellets in my 90 for the past 2 years. I used liquid carbon ( vinegar) in my Biocube. It worked well but the tank developed the white bacteria slime which was a PITA to deal with. It was probably due to my limited ability to skim. I also also had a difficult time dialing in and maintimg a stable pH. Maybe my experience was atypical. I wanted to try another method of Nitrate export in the new build. So I decided on biopellet, skimming and chaeto for the 90. I have found the biopellets to be set it and forget it. I have had no issues with nutrient export. In fact if anything my water is to clean and I am in the process of letting the biopellets deplete

OK, thanks. :)

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, been a while! Well honestly I never went the vodka/vinegar path... much like I never went the 2 part path, or the refugium path. There is something about media reactors in general (Calcium Reactor & Biopellet particularly) that I enjoy. My system is 350g all Acro with some very large colonies (high demand) and alot of fish (high bioload). I found the long-run cost savings of the Calcium Reactor advantageous compared to 2 part dosing. So this mentality also leads me to the biopellet reactor. I have a large 2 chamber 8" Calcium Reactor, and the larges Biopellet reactor made by Reef Dynamics. My thinking - go big - as I may grow the system and my already high demand/high bioload system doesn't mind bigger stuff.

Now don't get me wrong, I really didn't like the early stage setup of the CaRx or the BPRx for that matter. I had a lot of struggles...Tuning, tweaking, effluent adjustment, measuring, 2nd guessing -- this campaign of dialing things in can be arduous. Taking a step back and methodically testing/fine tuning vs. over-reacting being the key. Our corals don't talk...but they do tell, and learning to look for these 'tells' is part of the art. I would suggest that the #1 reason some give up on BPRx is impatience, going too fast, not doing their homework (bio & chem) and probably not having a system that is compatible. What I mean by compatible -- why do people setup BPRx when their system is immature? Why do people setup BPRx because they are "tired of cleaning the glass" or they look at glass film as an indication of BPRx effectiveness, or perhaps cyano as an indication that BPRx is "the cause". Taking a 'Systems Approach', my natural inclination toward media reactors, system load/upgradability, general ease of operations (post tuning and understanding) all lead me to enjoy reactors over alternatives.

Of all my tribulations with BPRx I will say that choice of media brand was the biggest test. I still can't say for sure but there is something about certain brands of pellets in my system that were incompatible. I know i have some posts out there about my Biopellet tuning and that read and view of my efforts will show some of the stuff I went through...it isn't all pretty, there are some egos that enter that chat, endorsements, etc..., but hopefully informative at least in my personal ups and downs.

-Greg

Rogger Castells

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you guys finding the suggested amount for the AIO pellets, I have not been able to find that in their website.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back