[Nitrate Reduction] Which reactor media is best at reducing nitrates? Matrix or biopellets? Carbon?

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add additional ways reduce nitrates in my tank.

One way I tried was running a reactor with matrix in it. After 5+ weeks there doesn't seem to be any difference. I'm not sure if this is because matrix isn't effective when used this way or it hasn't been enough time.

Should I ditch the matrix in the reactor and use biopellets instead? People seem to use biopellets in reactors much more
There's room in other slow flow spots for matrix I'm not sure it needs its own reactor

Also considering adding another reactor to the setup. What media should I use other than biopellets? Carbon?

Other notes:
I also dose daily NO3:pO4-X
Have a good skimmer running
Am doing large water changes to keep nitrates as low as possible but they build back up fast and doing large 80-100gallon changes weekly on my 300g is more than I'd like to be doing.

Thanks!

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is "Donovans nitrate destroyer" reaktor.
Mine is running smooth, keeping the nitrate at around 5ppm.

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is "Donovans nitrate destroyer" reaktor.
Mine is running smooth, keeping the nitrate at around 5ppm.

I was just looking at that thread! I think something like that may be exactly what I need

OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may just need to up the nopox dosage

How much NOPOX per day?

Started with dosing 30mL per day and have increased to doing 40mL now

Trying to stay close to the recommended amount of dosing but perhaps I should be doing much more.

My nitrates get as high as 50-70ppm right before water change time. Say a water change gets them down to 20-30 range, it typically takes about a week to get back to the 50-70 range.

fishRus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using NO-POX in my 100 gal. Reef with sump and protein skimmer I have been adding 15 ml per day for 3 months It reduce my nitrates to 0 they were up to 50 ppm I’m now cutting back to 5ml per day I want my nitrates to be around 15ppm . My phosphate are at .04 The phosphates may be staying low partly because I have some hair algae growing in upper corners and on my returns for my sump.
previously I used it on a 55 gal. With a skimmer and a canister filter and the NO-POX worked on it also.
I do very little water changes and I feed fairly heavily .
I have LPS and SPS and Softies all growing well.
Im planning on switching to vinegar the NO-POX is expensive. I will post if the vinegar works as well.

Attachments

• A0CFA464-F15A-40EF-A070-1DE51A6A1F83.jpeg
    A0CFA464-F15A-40EF-A070-1DE51A6A1F83.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 49
  • F8F14509-AF80-45F4-8DD7-5212CB856F49.jpeg
    F8F14509-AF80-45F4-8DD7-5212CB856F49.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Marquarium

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using NO-POX in my 100 gal. Reef with sump and protein skimmer I have been adding 15 ml per day for 3 months It reduce my nitrates to 0 they were up to 50 ppm I’m now cutting back to 5ml per day I want my nitrates to be around 15ppm . My phosphate are at .04 The phosphates may be staying low partly because I have some hair algae growing in upper corners and on my returns for my sump.
previously I used it on a 55 gal. With a skimmer and a canister filter and the NO-POX worked on it also.
I do very little water changes and I feed fairly heavily .
I have LPS and SPS and Softies all growing well.
Im planning on switching to vinegar the NO-POX is expensive. I will post if the vinegar works as well.
Corals looking great. Nice to hear NO-POX is working for you. Hopefully continued use for me will start to show some improvements!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with dosing 30mL per day and have increased to doing 40mL now

Trying to stay close to the recommended amount of dosing but perhaps I should be doing much more.

My nitrates get as high as 50-70ppm right before water change time. Say a water change gets them down to 20-30 range, it typically takes about a week to get back to the 50-70 range.

I'd up the dose before switching to a denitrator.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back