Reducing Nitrates

omerseymen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I have been checking my nitrates for 2 weeks but it has been the same as 50*.
How can i reduce the nitrate in my aquarium?

Are De-Nitrators worth to buy? (for example SeaChem- Denitrate) And should i buy a media reactor to use a denitrator?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from chemicals.

You have a few options;
- get a skimmer if you don't have one already
- get macroalgae
- do a large water change
- find the cause of the high nitrates and fix it (overstocked tank, over feeding, is the tank properly cycled, ETC)

Upvote 0

nachurch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still very new to the hobby but I was told putting carbon in a bag in the back of the tank helps to reduce the nitrates as well! Is this true or not so much??

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still very new to the hobby but I was told putting carbon in a bag in the back of the tank helps to reduce the nitrates as well! Is this true or not so much??
Not all that much. Carbon dosing helps with nitrates but with such high levels it is unlikely to help much. As other posters have said, large water changes and then carbon dosing to keep under control would be my recommendation.

Upvote 0

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not activated carbon, which is sold in the bags. Dosing carbon helps, but it more risky and not necessarily the most efficient.

Upvote 0

nachurch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all that much. Carbon dosing helps with nitrates but with such high levels it is unlikely to help much. As other posters have said, large water changes and then carbon dosing to keep under control would be my recommendation.
Thanks for the info dude!! I only have a 10G tank right now so a good 1G change every couple weeks seems to keep everything running smooth

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info dude!! I only have a 10G tank right now so a good 1G change every couple weeks seems to keep everything running smooth
If your nitrates are at 50, a 1 gallon water change every couple of weeks is unlikely to make a big dent. I would recommend to do 3 gallon water changes every other day for 3-4 changes which will get you down to the 10-15 which is a good healthy range and then you should be able to monitor and maintain where you want them.

Upvote 0

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrates are at 50, a 1 gallon water change every couple of weeks is unlikely to make a big dent. I would recommend to do 3 gallon water changes every other day for 3-4 changes which will get you down to the 10-15 which is a good healthy range and then you should be able to monitor and maintain where you want them.
That was a hijack lol.. the OP has 50 nitrate.

Upvote 0

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your rock and sand situation? My nitrates are always at 3ppm. I’ve attributed it to my deep sand bed and plenty of rocks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
omerseymen

omerseymen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot guys, so i am going to make a water change. And i want to ask is changing 40 liters of my 200 liter tank enough? Or should it be more than 40 Liters

Upvote 0

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot guys, so i am going to make a water change. And i want to ask is changing 40 liters of my 200 liter tank enough? Or should it be more than 40 Liters
A water change will definitely help, but to get the nitrates all the way down, you should need to do a 100% water change. To get them down to 25ppm, you would need to do a 50% water change. This is why water changes aren't the best.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I have been checking my nitrates for 2 weeks but it has been the same as 50*.
How can i reduce the nitrate in my aquarium?

Are De-Nitrators worth to buy? (for example SeaChem- Denitrate) And should i buy a media reactor to use a denitrator?

I discuss and compare the many ways of reducing nitrate here. They all have different pros and cons.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back