GFO or Macro Algae

Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to reduce nitrates and phosphates from my tanks and I’m not sure whether to get GFO or a macro algae reactor. I don’t have room for both so it’s just one or the other. Anyone have any advice?

CSAqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Macro because it also helps provide a good place for copepods to chill out. Although I use it in a fuge, not sure how the pods do in a reactor. Once it's established and going it's also super easy to maintain and I think easier than cleanup out reactors and changing media. Just pull some out and toss it. Also less expensive. Since I added mine I can't get phosphates and nitrates over 0,0 unless I dose.

OP
OP
D

Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Macro because it also helps provide a good place for copepods to chill out. Although I use it in a fuge, not sure how the pods do in a reactor. Once it's established and going it's also super easy to maintain and I think easier than cleanup out reactors and changing media. Just pull some out and toss it. Also less expensive. Since I added mine I can't get phosphates and nitrates over 0,0 unless I dose.
Yeah I was wondering about the pods too. I feel like if they do live in reactors then I’ll probably do that.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been trying to reduce nitrates and phosphates from my tanks and I’m not sure whether to get GFO or a macro algae reactor. I don’t have room for both so it’s just one or the other. Anyone have any advice?
Gfo will not reduce your nitrates, so you may want to think about carbon dosing or macro algae.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a good skimmer, i would get the reactor and run gac/gfo mix. Additionally id dose vinegar to get no3 down. Macro, carbon dosing or water changes do not move po4 much, but are better at no3 reduction.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never thought about carbon dosing. Thanks for that input. Do you know if it has any negative effects?
A couple I can think of, overdosing can kill fish etc as it will use up oxygen so you need to go slow and it can feed undesirable bacteria as well as good bacteria but if done correctly the risks as minimal imo…take a look at Tropic marin NP bacto balance, I use it and its very good at keeping your po4 and nitrates in check, Elimi is if you want to reduce your nitrates and po4 if your po4 is above 0.1, below that then bacto is the one to use.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never thought about carbon dosing. Thanks for that input. Do you know if it has any negative effects?
Pretty much every solution has a give and a take. So its generally more important to spend time reading into the option you choose than it is choosing the option.

In general:
Carbon dosing - lowers nitrate and phosphate , however it can cause bacteria blooms (snotty mess in tank, low ph, low O2, etc.), it can lower nutrients too fast if over dosed (most recommend cutting your starting dose and ramping it up slowly).

Macro algae - can strip a lot of trace elements that your coral need too, it also can be a mess and annoying to deal with same with algae scrubbers.

GFO - can easily strip out all the available phosphate in the water (most will recommend starting with a tiny amount)

Personally if your tank is doing well I would not try and chase a specific number. Maybe just cut back on feeding or lower fish stocking.
However if you are having problems you believe are due to high nutrients, I also like the tropic marin stuff, you can call their office and usually talk to @Lou Ekus directly who can help direct you to their product that will best fit your needs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back