Good macro algae for mixed reef tank

Doppler2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good macro algae to use inside a display tank? I’m constantly fighting nitrates and phosphates, and I have an aquatop 40 cube AIO, so a refugium is not very easily done. I’m looking for a macro algae I can put in my display tank that will be

1.) Safe for corals : I know a lot of macros can be harmful to the growth of some corals and I’m building my mixed reef

2.) Aesthetically pleasing : I hate the browns and greens of most algae, I like the purple and red ones, specifically the branching macros

3.) Easy to control

I love mangroves but I’ve heard they’re not the most efficient for nutrient export and I just don’t have the lighting means for it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any gracilaria. I tend to avoid red ogo as it breaks apart easily.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good macro algae to use inside a display tank? I’m constantly fighting nitrates and phosphates, and I have an aquatop 40 cube AIO, so a refugium is not very easily done. I’m looking for a macro algae I can put in my display tank that will be

1.) Safe for corals : I know a lot of macros can be harmful to the growth of some corals and I’m building my mixed reef

2.) Aesthetically pleasing : I hate the browns and greens of most algae, I like the purple and red ones, specifically the branching macros

3.) Easy to control

I love mangroves but I’ve heard they’re not the most efficient for nutrient export and I just don’t have the lighting means for it.
I like the dragons breath.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit late, OP, but I find Botrycladia to be just about perfect in terms of geowth and management. Doesn't have pieces flying off everywhere, doesn't grow too fast or too slow, easy to frag/prune, and looks really nice.

Codium is another that can help you with nutrients. It is a deeper green, which I find more attractive and can grow nice and bushy.

Gracilaria hayi is among the more manageable gracilarias and grows well.

If you want something more ornamental, Galaxaura is beautiful, rivaling most corals. Not a major nutrient controller though.

Try live-plants.com. They have a good selection and decent prices. You might also try a ball or ear sponge along with it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back