Macroalgae Tanks, the good and the bad

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
619
Reaction score
571
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love macro algae tanks when they are first set up and thriving. But my one main issue with them is I always see a crash coming if they are not properly maintained. Like growing a garden without trimming and weeding, if you let it get out of control it will eventually choke itself. This mainly happens in small macro algae tanks as the parameters are more unstable since the water volume is smaller. So if you get a sudden melt it can cause the whole tank to crash within a night, similar to anemones getting stuck in the power head. As long as you maintain your garden selectively this can usually be avoided, but since macro algae grows so fast I feel as though it can become more demanding in maintenance then some simple reef tanks do. What are your thoughts and opinions?

(Also not related but here is a photo of a baby feather duster from my refugium)



AR (4).png

AR (5).png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new