Plumbing macro algae tank to main display.

Mason Back

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2026
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I had a question about plumbing a macro algae tank for display to my main display tank. My main display is an aio aquarium and I would like a display macro algae tank beside it. I can’t use an overflow on the macro algae tank since itll be lower than the main display. Does anyone have any suggestions?
 
That’s going to be a hard one . With the AIO and the macro tank lower not sure how you can do that .
 
For sure, I have only seen them with overflows.
 
Welcome newer member!

I'm also a little puzzled, and I think you may be over complicating things 🙂

Why not simply have your main tank, and then next to it a smaller - but separate - macro algae tank?

I think you're asking for a lot more than what you may want or need by trying to tie these two tanks together.

Good luck whichever way you go!
 
Welcome newer member!

I'm also a little puzzled, and I think you may be over complicating things 🙂

Why not simply have your main tank, and then next to it a smaller - but separate - macro algae tank?

I think you're asking for a lot more than what you may want or need by trying to tie these two tanks together.

Good luck whichever way you go!
Yes! Thats my plan, but with the tank being in all in one its more difficult to my understanding. The macro algae tank will be lower than the main display, how do you think I should connect them? Also, I would love for a macro algae tank, but my nutrients are high so it think it would help with lowering them ive heard..
 
Yes! Thats my plan, but with the tank being in all in one its more difficult to my understanding. The macro algae tank will be lower than the main display, how do you think I should connect them? Also, I would love for a macro algae tank, but my nutrients are high so it think it would help with lowering them ive heard..
My friend, I DON'T think you should connect these two tanks 🙃

I think you're introducing too many variables for a setup like that.

You can lower nutrients with macro algae for sure, but what are your numbers? Maybe there's a better way to lower your nutrients (if they are truly high) rather than trying to plumb these two tanks together 🙂
 
My friend, I DON'T think you should connect these two tanks 🙃

I think you're introducing too many variables for a setup like that.

You can lower nutrients with macro algae for sure, but what are your numbers? Maybe there's a better way to lower your nutrients (if they are truly high) rather than trying to plumb these two tanks together 🙂
My phosphates are around .75, and my nitrates were 100, went down to around 65.
 
How old is your tank? Sometimes newer tanks can go through instability, especially phosphates that can be affected by your rocks and sand.

You can also try adding macro algae to your main display.
 
How old is your tank? Sometimes newer tanks can go through instability, especially phosphates that can be affected by your rocks and sand.

You can also try adding macro algae to your main display.
Its around 2 years old. It dosent have room for macroalgae right now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new