Macro algae in display tank

zwalter38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been doing some research, as I am just getting into the saltwater/reef side of the aquarium hobby. And I’d really like to add some macro algae to my new reef tank build. It is a 135 gallon. I like the look of macros and of course all the benefits of them, so I’d like to put it in my display tank. Ideally I would choose some type of green variety that can grow in the sand. However I’m open to all options. Any advice will help as this is all new territory for me. I’ve only ever done planted freshwater tanks. Also I’ve checked out algae barn but any other places to get macro algae? Thanks!

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefcleaners and reeftopia generally have some in stock if you are looking for some. not sure if TBS does. I had a beautiful red gracilaria growing for a while but....yeah found my fish eating it eventually and well that ended that so check the fish you have too to see if they might enjoy eating it...omnivores eat everything ....who knew....

OP
OP
Z

zwalter38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I have been thinking about is Caulerpa prolifera. I understand that it can get out of control if it is not trimmed regularly. It is one that I enjoy the look of, and it seems to be one of the better ones at reducing nitrates and phosphates. So basically, my question is how often is trimming "regularly"?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I have been thinking about is Caulerpa prolifera. I understand that it can get out of control if it is not trimmed regularly. It is one that I enjoy the look of, and it seems to be one of the better ones at reducing nitrates and phosphates. So basically, my question is how often is trimming "regularly"?
I had a huge caulerpa prolifera "field" in my 75g display fuge years ago. I wanted a clear area to feed the angler that lived in its grassy depths so i just pulled it from that area on a regular basis. Probably every few days. It does grow fast. I have heard it can go sexual but In the 6-7 years I had that set up it never happened. I have had a very hard time finding any now that I'm back in. I had to settle for the mexicana "feather" caulerpa this time around and its growing so well I wouldnt have the heart to pull it if I found the prolifera. Also dragons breath is really nice too. Codium is cool I didnt know years ago the codium is supposedly a cooler water species. Might be why mine lived but never really grew well. I love the idea of things like mermaids fans and shaving brush plants I just never had great luck with them. They usually look very drab and ehhh.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have kept them in my display, the issue for me has been that some of my favorite CUC members like to eat them. My 11 gallon had two types of calurpa, and two different red macros. . . but then I added a pitho crab. . . and now I have none haha. To the pitho's credit she took the hair algae out too! Emerald crabs will also snack on macros. . .

and that's not to mention herbivorous fish.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240204_000140.jpg

20240226_052636_HDR.jpg

Just my fuge 3 week growth.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulf Coast Ecosystems is where I'm planning to get my macros from. One of the very few I've found that can actually ship to me, so once I get my lights all sorted out hopefully I can get some hypnea pannosa from them and then I'll have to look somewhere else for some dragon's breath

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Gulf Coast Ecosystems is where I'm planning to get my macros from. One of the very few I've found that can actually ship to me, so once I get my lights all sorted out hopefully I can get some hypnea pannosa from them and then I'll have to look somewhere else for some dragon's breath
I saw several listings for dragons breath macro on ebay

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw several listings for dragons breath macro on ebay
Yeah I've been looking at ebay and etsy, but I've read some reviews of sellers misidentifying the species and sending species like gracliaria for example.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few vendors for macro algae. Particularly in Hawaii.

Aquiring it is one thing. Proper lighting and fertizling it, or at least supplementing the iron it depletes, are another discussion altogether.

I believe that Seahorse Savvy site only ships within the continental US and are located on the east coast

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a Macro sub-forum here, be a good thing to check.

There are several more...calciforus(sp) green macros.... 'pine cone', 'shaving brush', 'Mermaids Fan" for example. As someone mentioned Halimeda, some that root on sand, some holdfast to rocks.

Mosaic Macro's, Gulf Coast Ecosystems, The Macro Lady, (currently not taking orders in prep for a shows/ceonvention?) Coral's anonymous offers some interesting ones outside what's found @ many vendors also.

Lot of 'reds' that are sold as "dragon" something of one type or another irritatingly enough.
...cant recall the vendor, but lest i checked had a red with orange dots/spots variant in stock.

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw... one of the one that seems to get edges like and flouresce(?)

Halymenia Durvillei

I highly suggest trying to learn the scientific names, as I mentioned previousl.. a LOT of 'reds' called "Dragon Flame", "dragon tongue" etc al.. that don't display the orange and/or flouresce.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back