All of my fish except for 2 died

nikosbk11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I recently just started adding corals to my tank. Around a month ago my fish had I had but I took care of it with copper and everyone is now healthy. But overnight my flame hawk snowflake clown and go face rabbit fish died. They clearly had ich but it was bad all of my perimeters r normal. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that they all died. My normal occelerous clown and lawnmower Benny r all that lives. I have one green bubble tip and a colony of zoanthids the videos r of my foxface last night.

Attachments

• IMG_4108.MOV
    2.8 MB
  • IMG_4105.MOV
    10.4 MB

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for you loss. I can move this thread to the Fish disease and treatment forum if you like.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich doesn't usually kill that quickly. It's more likely it was velvet.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Velvet kills fast and can easily hitchhike on corals. Vids won’t load for me, but ich doesn’t kill this fast. Velvet also appears like circles. Do you have pics too?
I would remove the survivors into qt and fallow.

OP
OP
N

nikosbk11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Velvet kills fast and can easily hitchhike on corals. Vids won’t load for me, but ich doesn’t kill this fast.
I would remove the survivors into qt and fallow.
I’m setting up a qt tank today and I’m gonna dip my corals. The only thing is my anemone is lodged in one rock will I be able to dip the whole rock with the anemone

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a qt tank today and I’m gonna dip my corals. The only thing is my anemone is lodged in one rock will I be able to dip the whole rock with the anemone
I’ve dipped rocks with coral on them (small rocks), it would probably be fine.
If going fallow, you don’t have to necessarily dip the corals currently in the tank as the disease will be starved anyway. Wouldn’t hurt to do though.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that Ick, if that's the case, will attach itself to is fish. You would have to go fallow on the DT for at least 76 days though.

Agree with @Sharkbait19 on Ick vs Velvet

OP
OP
N

nikosbk11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I recently just started adding corals to my tank. Around a month ago my fish had I had but I took care of it with copper and everyone is now healthy. But overnight my flame hawk snowflake clown and go face rabbit fish died. They clearly had ich but it was bad all of my perimeters r normal. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that they all died. My normal occelerous clown and lawnmower Benny r all that lives. I have one green bubble tip and a colony of zoanthids the videos r of my foxface last night.
How do you guys recomend I qt I’m still a beginner in reefing and I was thinking that I can put my clown and lawnmower blennyin a ten gallon tank from petco with some live rock and a few sponge filters with copper. If velvet can attach on coral shouldn’t I qt them too?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dipping will not kill velvet or ich cysts on your rock or corals.

Disturbing them will be no good.

Coral needs to be in a fishless environment for 45-76 days. If you do 45 then temp should be increased to 82ish and sand bed needs to be stirred. Fish QT should not be set up near the DT.

There are many stickies on treating fish and going fallow (fishless).

Live rock can absorb copper. Better just using biospira to cycle some filters. Then Hannah HR copper checker to maintain levels for 30 days.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that can't see the video
Screenshot_20210807-115038.png
Screenshot_20210807-114956.png

OP
OP
N

nikosbk11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping will not kill velvet or ich cysts on your rock or corals.

Disturbing them will be no good.

Coral needs to be in a fishless environment for 45-76 days. If you do 45 then temp should be increased to 82ish and sand bed and rock need to be stirred. Fish QT should not be set up near the DT.

There are many stickies on treating fish and going fallow (fishless).

Live rock can absorb copper. Better just using biospira to cycle some filters. Then Hannah HR copper checker to maintain levels for 30 days.
Isn’t there a way that I can make the time shorter I’m just gonna miss seeing fish in my tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t there a way that I can make the time shorter I’m just gonna miss seeing fish in my tank.

No. There isn’t an easy proven short cut.

The disease is resilient and not easy to kill one encysts onto the rock. That is why you need to wait it out.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys recomend I qt I’m still a beginner in reefing and I was thinking that I can put my clown and lawnmower blennyin a ten gallon tank from petco with some live rock and a few sponge filters with copper. If velvet can attach on coral shouldn’t I qt them too?
You don’t really need live rock, as live rock is a main source for parasites. Just put them into a sterile tank with an hob filter, put some Dr. Tim’s for nitrifying bacteria, and then begin treatments.

As far as corals go, as long as you buy from a reputable place that keeps them away from their fish systems, they should be safe. You could also dip them, though that doesn’t really remove protozoan parasites. The velvet/ich in question is harmless to corals, so your best course of action is to keep the tank fishless without adding anything new. Rocks, inverts, and corals can bring in ich and velvet. They just aren’t harmed by it.

OP
OP
N

nikosbk11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t really need live rock, as live rock is a main source for parasites. Just put them into a sterile tank with an hob filter, put some Dr. Tim’s for nitrifying bacteria, and then begin treatments.

As far as corals go, as long as you buy from a reputable place that keeps them away from their fish systems, they should be safe. You could also dip them, though that doesn’t really remove protozoan parasites. The velvet/ich in question is harmless to corals, so your best course of action is to keep the tank fishless without adding anything new. Rocks, inverts, and corals can bring in ich and velvet. They just aren’t harmed by it.
Ok thank you if anyone lives in the la area my lfs is called marks tropical fish I love that store but do you guys think that the parasites could be from them?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. There isn’t an easy proven short cut.

The disease is resilient and not easy to kill one encysts onto the rock. That is why you need to wait it out.
+1. When there’s a disease present, there are no shortcuts. I learned that the hard way. It’s best to take the time to treat the illness than repeat the same mistakes. You may not have fish in there for a few months, but if you skip the entire fallow period, you’ll never be able to keep healthy fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back