All these crabs OK together?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef, HNSA aquascape, 225g 6-foot tank. Are all these crabs/inverts OK together in a system like this?

1. Halloween crab
  2. Porcelain anemone crab (I have no anemones, though)
  3. Pom pom crab
  4. A half dozen micro blue-leg hermits
  5. Fire shrimp
I already have the little blue-leg hermits. Looking into adding all the others.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably, but there is an chance when they molt someone might catch someone in the process and kill it. And while the procelain anemone crab doesn't need an anemone they host them fo r protection so you might wait until you have an anemone.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A porcelain anemone crab will be stressed without a host anemone. Best to wait on that. They like rock flower anemones, which are easy to keep and won't wander.

The rest should leave each other alone, particularly with that much space.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My porcelain nem crab has plenty of RFAs around and prefers to sit on top of a pavona. Not stressed at all--I actually target feed it a TDO pellet daily. They also know how to defend themselves.

All of those look like they should get along. My biggest worry would be the pom pom crab, particularly if it loses its pom poms. They are not very imposing without their pom poms. I think my pom pomless pom pom was killed by an emerald crab that just passed by and decided to attack for no apparent reason.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, host pavona! I suppose I should have said that they need a host /something/, and usually prefer anemones.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's blue porcelain crabs that don't need anemones, you can try one of them instead. They basically do the exact same thing but roam more and don't live in anemones.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two anemone crabs and 2 porcelain crabs, and only one of the 4 lives on/under/among my RFA Garden. The rest have staked out various points, including the middle of a somewhat annoyed St Thomas mushroom.

I think everything in that list will be fine.

Back