Almost all corals dead. ICP results HELP

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majority of my corals have died. Just got my ICP results back today. I also was dealing with insanely high par (300 on sandbed). I fixed the par and today I realized from my ICP that my refractometer was no longer calibrated and my salinity hit 1.018! I'm slowly raising it through the ato. But here are the rest of my ICP results. I hear some are linked to the low salinity. But I am confusing on how my aluminum, lithium, and barium are so high. I have all two little fishies staxx, hygger wavemaker, sicce pump, filter floss, carbon/chemi pure elite, prism ato. I feed fauna soft clownfish food and mysis shrimp. Any insight on the rest of my icp results?

also this website has not let me attach files in months. i keep having to use imgur and it ruins the quality :(

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Majority of my corals have died. Just got my ICP results back today. I also was dealing with insanely high par (300 on sandbed). I fixed the par and today I realized from my ICP that my refractometer was no longer calibrated and my salinity hit 1.018! I'm slowly raising it through the ato. But here are the rest of my ICP results. I hear some are linked to the low salinity. But I am confusing on how my aluminum, lithium, and barium are so high. I have all two little fishies staxx, hygger wavemaker, sicce pump, filter floss, carbon/chemi pure elite, prism ato. I feed fauna soft clownfish food and mysis shrimp. Any insight on the rest of my icp results?

also this website has not let me attach files in months. i keep having to use imgur and it ruins the quality :(

Very sorry to hear this. The metals are leeching from something in the water, either a magnet that burst and is rusting or other exposed metal element.

What salt are you using?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I cannot read the values, I would just caution that ICP compaies flag values all the time that are not going to kill corals, and lithium , at least, is not very toxic at all.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you include some information on length of time your system has been running?

The over intensity issue with low salinty (aka low everything) is a large contributor to your coral issues, rather than some trace metals that many us find on ICP tests as well as you.

Stabilize those two things and ensure the others are in the operating ranges as well.

Sometimes ICP can just trigger us to fix something not broken.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear this. The metals are leeching from something in the water, either a magnet that burst and is rusting or other exposed metal element.

What salt are you using?
I had a magnet broke from a feeder but it was in the tank for maybe 10 mins total. I’m using instant ocean reef crystals. Is the only way to check if there is broken pieces in the magnets?

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I cannot read the values, I would just caution that ICP compaies flag values all the time that are not going to kill corals, and lithium , at least, is not very toxic at all.
Sorry. I’m not sure why it won’t let me post the pdf. I can open it on acrobat on my computer but I can’t upload it here. Can you click the Imgur link and see it better through the site?

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you include some information on length of time your system has been running?

The over intensity issue with low salinty (aka low everything) is a large contributor to your coral issues, rather than some trace metals that many us find on ICP tests as well as you.

Stabilize those two things and ensure the others are in the operating ranges as well.

Sometimes ICP can just trigger us to fix something not broken.
It’s been up for one year. I’ve had corals doing well and growing for a while and suddenly everything died/was dying.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I’m not sure why it won’t let me post the pdf. I can open it on acrobat on my computer but I can’t upload it here. Can you click the Imgur link and see it better through the site?

i tried. It spins and spins and nothing comes up.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_2993.jpeg
    IMG_2993.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2992.jpeg
    IMG_2992.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 71

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salinty 27.3ppt and you should be 35ppt.
All else good to me.
Dkh low to me at 7.3, likely due to low salinity.
I rather be in the 8.5-9dkh range to give me some room on both sides.

Problems point more to light changes and low salinity.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a refractometer. I hadn’t calibrated it in a year…. Big mistake. What about those metals though? Isn’t that a massive issue as well- the aluminum and such
I agree the salinity is very low and may be the issue.

How are you measuring it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a refractometer. I hadn’t calibrated it in a year…. Big mistake. What about those metals though? Isn’t that a massive issue as well- the aluminum and such

The metals are not high enough to be an issue based on lots of other folks having similar or higher levels and no coral issues.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Literally every refractometer tells you to recalibrate before every use. Sorry you had to learn that lesson. That’s tough.

What PAR cannon were you using to get 3-400 PAR on the sand? What tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back