OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally every refractometer tells you to recalibrate before every use. Sorry you had to learn that lesson. That’s tough.

What PAR cannon were you using to get 3-400 PAR on the sand? What tank?
Yeah I messed up lol I felt like I was putting the same amount of salt since the beginning when it was calibrated but I guess not!

I was using one off the ai prime fb group called pennywise 71% with two ai primes on a 20g im peninsula. Potentially the glass was reflecting the light to give it an even greater par. I had to turn the lights down almost 75% lol

IMG_2812.jpeg IMG_2813.jpeg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Literally every refractometer tells you to recalibrate before every use. Sorry you had to learn that lesson. That’s tough.

What PAR cannon were you using to get 3-400 PAR on the sand? What tank?

I go months, if not years, before I calibrate my refractometer. If you are calibrating it every time, you need a better quality refractometer or stop abusing it. My BRS refractometer got calibrated when I got it back in 2015-2016 and has never needed calibration after day 1.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I messed up lol I felt like I was putting the same amount of salt since the beginning when it was calibrated but I guess not!

I was using one off the ai prime fb group called pennywise 71% with two ai primes on a 20g im peninsula. Potentially the glass was reflecting the light to give it an even greater par. I had to turn the lights down almost 75% lol

IMG_2812.jpeg IMG_2813.jpeg

Weighing your salt before adding it to the water makes this a non issue. "Scoops" and "cups" are not measurements. They are guesses.

This will also alert you to any refractometer issues in the future. What salt are you using? I likely have weight needed per gallon from my Ultimate Salt Test. This should get you super close at least.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that first step is get salinity back within range. Then retest. If corals were ok under lights before then don't believe that it is a major issue.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I go months, if not years, before I calibrate my refractometer. If you are calibrating it every time, you need a better quality refractometer or stop abusing it. My BRS refractometer got calibrated when I got it back in 2015-2016 and has never needed calibration after day 1.

Not true. Simply because you haven't had to doesn't mean that they don't state such is a requirement before using. I have the BRS refrac. Their instruction state to calibrate with solution before each use. Do I do it? No. Because I rarely if ever use it. But I do calibrate every couple months.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Weighing your salt before adding it to the water makes this a non issue. "Scoops" and "cups" are not measurements. They are guesses.

This will also alert you to any refractometer issues in the future. What salt are you using? I likely have weight needed per gallon from my Ultimate Salt Test. This should get you super close at least.

Again not true. I weigh my salt. It is .24 lbs off from what the bucket recommends. So you need to weigh it when mixing and test using your calibrated refractometer.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Again not true. I weigh my salt. It is .24 lbs off from what the bucket recommends. So you need to weigh it when mixing and test using your calibrated refractometer.

I have used and extensively tested at least 15 different salts. Multiple buckets from each over the years. Dozens of some. The weight for each salt rarely changes. It is grams per gallon of water here and there and not enough to throw anything off.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have used and extensively tested at least 15 different salts. Multiple buckets from each over the years. Dozens of some. The weight for each salt rarely changes. It is grams per gallon of water here and there and not enough to throw anything off.

I have as well. I'm currently using Elos. It is .24lbs off per 5 gallons of water. Red Sea, Brightwell, Fritz have always been perfect for me. This is my first time using Elos and it is in fact off of what the bucket recommends.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Someone else suggesting weighing as well. I am using instant ocean reef crystals (orange bucket)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back