(Almost) Everything You Need to Know About Apex Salinity Calibration and TC Factor

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pushed next on both settling loops and the calib solution read 34.4-34.6 (it had become 77f and my tank at 78f reads 36.9-37, my refractometers say Im dialed at 35 (refractometers calibrated) so maybe I should just accept 37 as the number to stay stable at? just like my calcium readings near 750 when hanna says they are about 550?
Let it go for a few days or maybe a week and observe. See how it goes.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pushed next on both settling loops and the calib solution read 34.4-34.6 (it had become 77f and my tank at 78f reads 36.9-37, my refractometers say Im dialed at 35 (refractometers calibrated) so maybe I should just accept 37 as the number to stay stable at? just like my calcium readings near 750 when hanna says they are about 550?
That sounds like you had some bubbles in the probe still when you hit the wet calibration next step. It requires a quite vigorous shake to dislodge them during calibration. I actually started making my own calibration solution instead of the packets cause it makes it a lot easier to get the air bubbles out when I use a pee cup instead of a packet.

If it still doesn't line up and you just want to use the probe purely for trends, just dunk the probe in the tank during the wet step.

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it go for a few days or maybe a week and observe. See how it goes.
Thanks, this calibration difficulty is costing a bit of money, after buying many solutions I will have to send the water out to be tested. not to be a downer but Apex claims this stuff is all easy, almost plug and play, well it certainly isn't :)

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like you had some bubbles in the probe still when you hit the wet calibration next step. It requires a quite vigorous shake to dislodge them during calibration. I actually started making my own calibration solution instead of the packets cause it makes it a lot easier to get the air bubbles out when I use a pee cup instead of a packet.

If it still doesn't line up and you just want to use the probe purely for trends, just dunk the probe in the tank during the wet step.
well its stable at 36 now which isnt far off from 35 so (better than in the low 40's, I will send of samples for testing and see where that goes

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make your own for about 2 cents. Put 3.29g of mortons salt in a pee cup. Fill the pee cup the rest of the way with rodi until the total weight is 100.00g. Dissolve fully and let sit for at least an hour.
Thanks. Does it matter if the salt is iodized or not?

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its stable at 36 now which isnt far off from 35 so (better than in the low 40's, I will send of samples for testing and see where that goes
oddly the reading now is 35.8 and the salt is actually climbing as is does daily until the daily top off, it would appear somehow, its adjusting. very odd but it seems to be getting better.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose if you get a drug dealer-worthy scale, this approach would work, in the long run, it would be cheaper than continued solution purchases.
They are really cheap now. Drug dealers must have brought the price down . One example that is plenty precise.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you were correct, after waiting a couple days the salt has been steadily dropping from 37 to 33.4 now , the problem is its still dropping and no its below the actual near 35 level, what the heck!?!
Can you post a graph with the salinity and temp over the last week? I know you know this, but give it a shake for bubbles for good measure... Pun indented.

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt probe is haunted, calcuim doesnt work and who knows on the mag,

Attachments

• apex 6.3.22.png
    apex 6.3.22.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 35

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this reading was in the mid 36.5 range up to 36 but now it says it was tracking at 35.5? then I poured a small amount of Kalkwasser in the sump and the probe jumped up 2 pts and stayed there, I tried to celebrate and the probe went to the 40s, I was able to do the TC adjustment and it went to 36 and declined to 33.5 as of now. there was a small temp swing yesterday (hot day) fans weren't set up yet.

Attachments

• apex salt 2 6.3.png
    apex salt 2 6.3.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 39

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt probe is haunted, calcuim doesnt work and who knows on the mag,
Is this located in an area with a lot of microbubbles? If so, you either need to relocate it to a different part of your sump with less or use one of the salinity stabilization kits that run water through it to clear out the bubbles.

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this located in an area with a lot of microbubbles? If so, you either need to relocate it to a different part of your sump with less or use one of the salinity stabilization kits that run water through it to clear out the bubbles.
yes, its next to the skimmer and there are bubbles, I will try moving the probe rack, thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back