Almost ready to jump in!

albie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve been researching as much as we can, stocking up on equipment, and now we might finally be just about ready to add live rock and fill this thing with water!

Equipment list:

Innovative Marine SR Pro2 60 AIO
Reef Breeders Photon 32-V2 LED Light Fixture and BOT Mount
Helio 400W PTC Smart Aquarium Heater
Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6055
Tunze Osmolator 3155

Also have salt, a Sicce Silent Nano pump for mixing, hydrometer, CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive Reef Sand and an API Saltwater Master Test Kit to hand, and a Bulk Reef Supply 5 Stage Premium Plus 75 GPD RO/DI system in the basement, complete with Aquatec 1/4” 8800 Booster Pump Kit as our pressure was a little low.

We are about order live rock. Is there anything we are missing before we head on to this stage? Or anything else you would recommend we buy/do very soon? Does the above equipment sound like we are on track? Any other tips very welcome!

IMG_1903.jpeg

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment list looks good, not super familiar with the Tunzee brand do I won't comment on them. When it comes to cycling the aquarium I recommend Fritz Turbo start if you don't want to wait. You can add livestock and the turbo start at the same time and boom your cycle is done.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste money on bottled bac if buying actual live rock which will provide an instant cycle. Tunze is arguably the most trusted brand in the hobby.

Check your heater size. 400W seems like a lot for a 60G. Also recommend getting 2 half size heaters over one full size such that if and when it fails, it won't cook your tank. A heater controller of some sort like Inkbird or Ranco is almost considered mandatory as well.

OP
OP
A

albie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste money on bottled bac if buying actual live rock which will provide an instant cycle. Tunze is arguably the most trusted brand in the hobby.

Check your heater size. 400W seems like a lot for a 60G. Also recommend getting 2 half size heaters over one full size such that if and when it fails, it won't cook your tank. A heater controller of some sort like Inkbird or Ranco is almost considered mandatory as well.
Thank you for the info. Yes, I was going to wait to see how the live rock does on its own before trying any bottled bacteria. And I was accidentally misleading with the heater info. I wrote it that way as it was how the item was listed on the IM website, but it’s actually two 200W heaters bought together, so hopefully that’s a little more appropriate!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x200W =400W. Same difference and it seems like overkill to me, but I've never used Helio's and don't know your ambient room temp.

OP
OP
A

albie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x200W =400W. Same difference and it seems like overkill to me, but I've never used Helio's and don't know your ambient room temp.
OK, thank you, I will look into it a little more. IM said these could be used for 50-100 gallons, and the 2x100W option goes up to 50, so I was right on that line. Maybe exchanging for the 2x100W would be a better option though.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only have 200W or 400W options with nothing in between?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH I’d avoid the helio setup. I’ve had nothing but grief from the two I’ve had . One died after a little over a year and the other was doa. I have an Inkbird and Eheim Jager setup and now and I’m much happier. Everything else looks good. I have the same light and ran it over my SR60 and loved the tank in general.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Eheim Jagers as well. They are rock solid and reliable. Only downside is the size and the calibration ring which never really works right. I just dial on the temp externally with an inkbird and it stays there.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 84 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.1%
Back