Alternative web interface

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Any plans in releasing a "modern" interface like the ones from Reef Factory ?
Or is possible to create custom interface and using reef-pi only via APIs ?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
entire reef-pi webui is powered by API. You can use that to build web or mobile apps. the current web ui will continue to evolve and accommodate responsive designs (for mobile). I do have plenty of plans for the current ui, expect those to land in bits and pieces through minor or major releases.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any preview on how it will be ?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any preview on how it will be ?
Is there anything specific you are looking for? It will be easier for me to understand that way. I plan to work on the UI similar to bug and other feature requirements, based on priority and availability of engineering resources. I do not have any grand plan of UI that i am executing over time. UI is there to assist the features we develop , from the feedback we receive and the tech enhancements that excite us.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing specific, Just a refresh like the current dashboard available today.

smart reef from reef factory is very neat

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is nothing stopping people from contributing to the community, or even spinning their own version.

Updating the interface constantly is best left for marketing people of companies that try to make themselves relevant to encourge people to buy their product (that is no different under the hood) over and over again.

Perhaps a product like that would be more to your liking.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing stopping people from contributing to the community, or even spinning their own version.

Updating the interface constantly is best left for marketing people of companies that try to make themselves relevant to encourge people to buy their product (that is no different under the hood) over and over again.

Perhaps a product like that would be more to your liking.
well no at all, keeping in mind that i make software professionally, saying that a web interface is only for marketing people is something offensive.

are you saying that putting a lot of effort (mine and my company employee) developing a good looking and easy to use web interface is just to encourage people to buy the same product over and over again?

well, if you think so, you were cheated by a non professional company. (are you an Apple user? they sell the same products over and over Just changing the color or the name, but, hei, iPhone X Mega Super is better than iPhone X Super, you must upgrade because the Super bought 3 days ago now is garbage)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well no at all, keeping in mind that i make software professionally, saying that a web interface is only for marketing people is something offensive.

are you saying that putting a lot of effort (mine and my company employee) developing a good looking and easy to use web interface is just to encourage people to buy the same product over and over again?

well, if you think so, you were cheated by a non professional company. (are you an Apple user? they sell the same products over and over Just changing the color or the name, but, hei, iPhone X Mega Super is better than iPhone X Super, you must upgrade because the Super bought 3 days ago now is garbage)
You don't seem to understand how open source works.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't seem to understand how open source works.
why? i'm asked for someone to do the work?
i don't think so.

i've asked exactly the OPPOSITE, re-read carefully the first post, i've asked if there are plans (just to skip working at the same time on the same thing) AND if is possible to make custom interfaces via API.

asking for an API is exactly the opposite than asking for some one doing the work. it's because i'll do on my own.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why? i'm asked for someone to do the work?
i don't think so.

i've asked exactly the OPPOSITE, re-read carefully the first post, i've asked if there are plans (just to skip working at the same time on the same thing) AND if is possible to make custom interfaces via API.

asking for an API is exactly the opposite than asking for some one doing the work. it's because i'll do on my own.
As stated before ... you don't understand open source. Perhaps to expand you understanding of software you might look into how the open source community works.

Hint: It's very DIY.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated before ... you don't understand open source. Perhaps to expand you understanding of software you might look into how the open source community works.

Hint: It's very DIY
it's sure you don't understand the english language

I'VE NEVER ASKED SOMEONE TO DO A NEW INTERFACE

i've asked if APIs are available TO DO ON MY OWN a new interface.

Is this clear to you?

my initial question, in addition to the API request that you still ignore, was to know if a new interface was already planned, because if that's the case, there is no need for me to make a new one.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've asked if APIs are available TO DO ON MY OWN a new interface.

Is this clear to you?
Github has the source code and you can look up ON YOUR OWN if there is an API or anything else for that matter. Because the front end is HTML you have more than enough power through CSS to make the page look anyway your want. I would think that as a software engineer you would understand this. As a software engineer this is what I had to do all the time because I was never dealing with just my code. I never asked anyone to interpret the source because that was my job.

It is particularly disrespectful for someone to ask for information when that information is freely available. Especially when you treat the person that is providing their hard work and time to others for free. Hence you need to educate yourself on what open source means, because your responses speak volumes about your lack of understanding.

As to the English language it is particularly condescending coming from a non-native speaker. I may not know any other language than English (though I do) but I can certianly tell when someone isn't native, because English is my first language. Normally I don't care but when someone is rude and then says that I don't understand English, I have to chuckle when it comes from someone for whom English is not their first language.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, you are a troll.
i've just made a question, nothing more. then you started this stupid story about open source, DIY and so on.

Just for a single question about the API.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

entire web ui is driven by API. You can read the api in the official web page, or any install of reef-pi (we make api docs available through every builds). Its based on json and rest, with session based authentication. Ping us on slack channel if you need help getting started. Homeassistant and few other integration are all based on api

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back