Aluminium: Best way to lower it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you now I know but so I need to follow through with icp test or just continue with biweekly Water change

What was the aluminum value?

When excessively high (don't rely on an ICP company to tell you what is too high) removing any white media is a better plan than water changes long term, IMO.

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the aluminum value?

When excessively high (don't rely on an ICP company to tell you what is too high) removing any white media is a better plan than water changes long term, IMO.
I have attach a link to see if you can view it....

this is from December 2022
//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/95d5c40c9890e80c628b

if you can't access it i'll try to snip it via windows

also here is from my RODI test result...

//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/238951061d9a49844726

after i found the results i went ahead and change all of my media filters...

so my question is do i need to do another icp test or just keep doing the biweekly water change.....no corals of mine are dying matter fact they are growing its just that my gha is annoying ... i did purchase tuxedo urchin and so far it's doing some damage but i gotta give it a little more time

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the likely source. I'd personally remove them.
I assume so, but are the marinepure biosphere balls also likely to leach aluminum? My levels are elevated in both my tanks, but not to a level, I’m overly concerned about from what I read in your articles and forums. In one tank I have the blocks and in the other only the spheres.

Levels were 68.08ųg/l and 81.42ųg/l respectively.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume so, but are the marinepure biosphere balls also likely to leach aluminum? My levels are elevated in both my tanks, but not to a level, I’m overly concerned about from what I read in your articles and forums. In one tank I have the blocks and in the other only the spheres.

Levels were 68.08ųg/l and 81.42ųg/l respectively.

They reportedly can, in some cases.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POLYFILTER

Anyone going after aluminum with a polyfilter might be successful (I do not know), but the manufacturer is not to be trusted in its claims about aluminum since the claims about it turning the polyfilter red are just nonsense. It makes one wonder what they were binding when the filter turned red and they thought it was aluminum.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poly filter I tried never turned red or reduced my aluminum levels according to ICP fwiw. Other's I've seen report the same lack of absorption.

Remy70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poly filter I tried never turned red or reduced my aluminum levels according to ICP fwiw. Other's I've seen report the same lack of absorption.
Anyone going after aluminum with a polyfilter might be successful (I do not know), but the manufacturer is not to be trusted in its claims about aluminum since the claims about it turning the polyfilter red are just nonsense. It makes one wonder what they were binding when the filter turned red and they thought it was aluminum.
Hi Randy been following this thread and thank you. My aluminium is 64.7 ug/l should I be worried also I’m using maxspect bio balls would thus be the source added 2 months ago? Thanx again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy been following this thread and thank you. My aluminium is 64.7 ug/l should I be worried also I’m using maxspect bio balls would thus be the source added 2 months ago? Thanx again

I would not worry enough to try to actively lower it, but I’d probably remove the media.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back