Aluminium: Best way to lower it?

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, I just received my Triton test results and I have high aluminum. Whats the suggested way to lower? I am using Detox from Triton but, I was wondering if there is anything else available for lowering it?

OP
OP
pirate2876

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
287 µg/l and I occasionally use GFO but, not ATM. I have a Cermedia block as my bio filtration and a number of ceramic inserts instead of live rock in the tank that could be leaching this.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not yet. From what I understand though is that it can. I run a mainly sps tank and I have already endured 1 total crash and, I need to prevent any others.

The only documented "possible" issues observed to this day have been a handful of folks reporting softies/leather responding negatively just after adding some MarinePure. Not one single fact exists that any AL from MarinePure is dangerous to aquarium stock. Outside of those who experienced the initial problems with their softies there are no reported issues directly linked to MarinePure. The most extensive hobby level study performed has not proven there is any danger and that person to my knowledge still has them in his system currently.

I have two in my 300g system and a third on its way. I have SPS, LPS, and Zoas, around 70 total different corals and and they are doing well. I love the stuff!

Keep it in the bottom of your sump in a low flow area, away from vibrating equipment, resists moving and/or cleaning, and away from direct flow. Set and forget! It will never clog and will host all kinds of little animals that will help keep it open when living living inside.

Works so well I've had to add nitrates and phosphates directly to the system when it was fallow because it is that effective.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty high level, IMO, but maybe not a problem. At twice that I saw substantial effects on corals (like leathers and mushrooms), but at 1/2 that I did not. Aluminum can be a tricky thing to remove. The Triton folks have suggested GFO.

Do you do regular water changes?

OP
OP
pirate2876

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do about 40g every 2 weeks. I have a few leathers and they seem fine now. I'm more concerned with my sps. I might run some gfo if it can remove the Al.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do about 40g every 2 weeks. I have a few leathers and they seem fine now. I'm more concerned with my sps. I might run some gfo if it can remove the Al.

Leathers seem more susceptible than SPS.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers seem more susceptible than SPS.

Agree. My fiji leather did not look fully healthy until my Al rates went down. The fiji leathet was very disturbed apon initial introduction of some ceramic media and did not look great or increased its size while Al levels peaked. Seems like everything else including SPS, LPS, mushrooms, and BTA in my system were ok.

I have numbers now but waiting on one more set of results to come back to actually post those numbers.

How my levels were lowered is not exactly known. I harvest algae, skim dry but lots of it, did not run GAC during that time, did 1% daily water changes, and towards the end the last few months added GFO.

I am running an experiment on GFOs capabilities of removing Al. Hopefully the kind that leaches from these ceramic media.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. My fiji leather did not look fully healthy until my Al rates went down. The fiji leathet was very disturbed apon initial introduction of some ceramic media and did not look great or increased its size while Al levels peaked. Seems like everything else including SPS, LPS, mushrooms, and BTA in my system were ok.

I have numbers now but waiting on one more set of results to come back to actually post those numbers.

How my levels were lowered is not exactly known. I harvest algae, skim dry but lots of it, did not run GAC during that time, did 1% daily water changes, and towards the end the last few months added GFO.

I am running an experiment on GFOs capabilities of removing Al. Hopefully the kind that leaches from these ceramic media.
how many different tests did you run over how long of time period?

OP
OP
pirate2876

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this? Did you remove the marine pure and retest after water changes?

I actually have done nothing different. No change in Cermedia or, rockwork and, I still continue my usual water change routine with no GFO. I haven't run a Triton since but, I think its about time. Tank seems fine and all inhabitants look pretty good IMO.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty high level, IMO, but maybe not a problem. At twice that I saw substantial effects on corals (like leathers and mushrooms), but at 1/2 that I did not. Aluminum can be a tricky thing to remove. The Triton folks have suggested GFO.

Do you do regular water changes?

Randy,

Where do you think you got the high levels from?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 blocks marine pure at 7 months in 100 gal water volume. Still elevated, but within reason. No carbon or gfo after month 2. 20% weekly water changes, depending on the look of the corals.

IMG_6210.JPG

Steeler560

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, just got my Triton results back, my fish and coral all look good but my Aluminum is at a ridiculous 171.00 ug/l!!! I haven't done any water changes under Triton since I setup the Red Sea Reefer 250 new about 3 months ago because all other key parameters were solid. I also am running a full block of MarinePure in the sump. I don't know what else could be causing the Al to spike like that other than the MarinePure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back