Aluminium bracing on aquarium

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a manufacturer using aluminium bracing rather than glass on the top of their tanks.
Its anodized but I would expect it to eventually corrode & leech into the water of a marine tank.
some aluminium grades are pretty good in regards to salt water, >>> but, & how resistant is the anodizing to seawater?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a manufacturer using aluminium bracing rather than glass on the top of their tanks.
Its anodized but I would expect it to eventually corrode & leech into the water of a marine tank.
some aluminium grades are pretty good in regards to salt water, >>> but, & how resistant is the anodizing to seawater?
In my opinion you wouldn't want anodized aluminum (or aluminium for those of you with silly accents!) continuously submerged in salt water, but it should hold up fine on the top rim of the tank.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you could request it be powder coated? I had a steel top frame added to my tank but had it powder coated before install to prevent corrosion.

OP
OP
Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you could request it be powder coated? I had a steel top frame added to my tank but had it powder coated before install to prevent corrosion.
How long has it been in service, & how is the powder coating holding up? Any corrosion at all?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in service, & how is the powder coating holding up? Any corrosion at all?

I installed the frame on my tank a few month after startup with the tank already full due to my rear glass panel bowing more than I liked. Its only been mounted for about 4 months now so too early to tell. But, the powder coat is pretty thick and durable so I don't envision any corrosion issues unless it gets chipped somehow. I powder coated the underside of the frame which mounts to the tank so it's fully sealed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But everytime you had a problem with the tank - wouldn't you wonder - is it the metal? (I would)... But I guess the person to question would be the manufacturer. They should know.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how well it will last exposed to both salty water and air, but the powder coating will certainly help and I'd keep it at least until there was a visual problem. I'd inspect it monthly.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back