Am I better off going bare bottom

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so heres the deal I am getting a new tank sorry for the repetivness of this statement lol. i am wondering about sand. So I was planning on doing black sand but its magnetic so maybe not. Then I might do white sand I need it heavy enough not to blow around by gyres any suggestions. Or my other option is bare bottom. thoughts what do you prefer for a reef tank of sps and lps. I want to keep wrasses and firefish I know that will be a problem right?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so heres the deal I am getting a new tank sorry for the repetivness of this statement lol. i am wondering about sand. So I was planning on doing black sand but its magnetic so maybe not. Then I might do white sand I need it heavy enough not to blow around by gyres any suggestions. Or my other option is bare bottom. thoughts what do you prefer for a reef tank of sps and lps. I want to keep wrasses and firefish I know that will be a problem right?

Depends on the wrasses. Could be a problem for gobies if you want one. Look at sea floor special grade sand. I've used that on the last 2 tanks. Fine enough that sand burrowers will like it but heavy enough that flow doesn't create a sand storm.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's benefits to both however I have never heard of anyone liking black sand long term in a reef, I'm sure it's possible to have a good experience with it but it may require more maintenance to do so.

I personally like my sand bed, it is made up exclusively of CaribSea Arag-alive fiji pink and I have never had issues with it blowing around even with gobies, jawfishes, and melanurus wrasse moving it around and a powerhead in the tank (it's a 20 gallon IM Nano). If you're worried about it moving too much with the gyre's, maybe try a coarser sand mixed with crushed coral. I believe CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand is a good alternative and has a coarser grain size.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't mind bare bottom since I have a sandbed rn and it is blowing around...but it also allows me to keep wrasses and firefish. i dont really want sand sifting gobys but maybe a dragonet some firefish and some flasher wrasses and some of the other types of wrasses. I do have a melanarus wrasse.

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this - never had any issues!

84557A94-9542-4334-AF18-722FF63C4DCF.png

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did black sand when I first started, hated it after a while. Tried Fiji pink on my second tank, it looked great but too fine. I settled on special grade from CaribSea.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back