Am I capped on fish?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a 75g mixed reef thats been up for 5 months that I am very proud of. It currently houses a Tomini Tang, Midas Blenny, Chalk Bass, and two clowns. I was at my LFS yesterday and the employee told me that it would be a bad idea to introduce a wrasse of sorts. Considering a yellow coris or really any wrasse recommendations that eat pests and look beautiful. They said that I can’t fit anything else in the tank and shouldn’t have the Tomini in there. I don’t think that’s true…?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a 75g mixed reef thats been up for 5 months that I am very proud of. It currently houses a Tomini Tang, Midas Blenny, Chalk Bass, and two clowns. I was at my LFS yesterday and the employee told me that it would be a bad idea to introduce a wrasse of sorts. Considering a yellow coris or really any wrasse recommendations that eat pests and look beautiful. They said that I can’t fit anything else in the tank and shouldn’t have the Tomini in there. I don’t think that’s true…?

Definitely have room for a wrasse or two. A small Halichores like the yellow, a radiant, dusky etc. You could also look at a small fairy, leopard wrasse, possum wrasse, or a combo of 2-3.
Also… https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/not-coris-wrasse-this-is-becoming-my-biggest-pet-peeve.1001846/

For the tang I’m of the opinion they need big tanks but plenty of people keep bigger tangs in smaller tanks.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all,

Tomini they are saying no because it’s a tang. However 55 gallon used to be the min for a yellow tang and now the guidance is much higher. I think if he is in there and happy/healthy it’s fine.

Overall how big are the fish you have? How much rock work do you have?

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely have room for a wrasse or two. A small Halichores like the yellow, a radiant, dusky etc. You could also look at a small fairy, leopard wrasse, possum wrasse, or a combo of 2-3.

For the tang I’m of the opinion they need big tanks but plenty of people keep bigger tangs in smaller tanks.
Thank you for the recommendation and endorsement! If the Tomini gets too big, I will rehome it, but this guy is only like 3.5” so he should be good for a while

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini will be fine in a 75. Tomini stays smaller than yellow tang. You can add a wrasse. Stay away from six line, yellow coris, and melanarus

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini they are saying no because it’s a tang. However 55 gallon used to be the min for a yellow tang and now the guidance is much higher. I think if he is in there and happy/healthy it’s fine.

Overall how big are the fish you have? How much rock work do you have?
They are all pretty small in size. I would say all around the same size at 3.5” aside from the male clown at around 2”. Here is my scape from when I set the tank up.
B39F2351-7B70-48A4-B7E3-681FF6CAFA69.jpeg

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't speak to the size your tomini tank "should" have, you certainly don't have a ton of livestock and are by no means totally capped.

I would think a wrasse or some others (bottom dwellers, for example), would be perfectly viable so long as they get along with what's already in there.

You've got to make sure:
They have the space to do their thing during the day
They have the space to sleep at night (enough appropriate hiding places)
They get along with what's already there
You can meet their nutritional needs
Your filtration is adequate to support the bioload

That's basically it, if things are thought through, you can get a surprising number of fish safely and comfortably into a tank.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They are all pretty small in size. I would say all around the same size at 3.5” aside from the male clown at around 2”. Here is my scape from when I set the tank up.
B39F2351-7B70-48A4-B7E3-681FF6CAFA69.jpeg
Yea I’d say you are fine. Definitely ok with tomini. I’ve seen them in smaller and more crowded doing well.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back