OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds about right, but next time DONT GO TO PETCO!!! When you stock, DONT BUY FROM PETCO! Go to a local fish shop and get some advice, there’s not much that can fit in your tank but maybe a little school of small fish and some inverts? The tank may be too small if you want a couple fish and one is territorial
:) yup. just to be safe I purchased my fish from a local shop which is run by some guys in my highschool class.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already cycled the tank and have been sitting the tank empty for a week while it was already cycled. Also the reason why I did not quarantine is because I do not have the resources to do so. I know it's a risk but im willing to take it. But thanks for your reply.
I also do not quarin, four years ago when I started reefing I added many fish straight from acclimating to my DT of 60g only lost one fish (PBT) with ick or maybe velvet, pulled out to put in a hospital tank to treat, he died next day. Never infected other fish for 4 years now. May work for you, some people here have large tanks with thousands$ in fish and is super risky for them. I have been doing fresh water for 40 years and never quar and only a few got sick and died. If the fish are fed properly, maintain good water quality and test daily for at least 1 year the fish can fight parasites on their own. The ocean reefs also have parasites and the fish are thriving. Good luck with yours. As of now I am upgrading my 46 Bowfront reef to 75g with 30g sump.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds about right, but next time DONT GO TO PETCO!!! When you stock, DONT BUY FROM PETCO! Go to a local fish shop and get some advice, there’s not much that can fit in your tank but maybe a little school of small fish and some inverts? The tank may be too small if you want a couple fish and one is territorial
I was going to my local Petco and they had a young girl who is a reefer and was very smart, I got some good fish and corals 4 years ago that I still have. Well she stopped working there because other people would mess up the tanks when she was off, just after that I seen the poor, skinny and shredded fins, I complained to the manager and I managed to get him for about ten dollars, well that was over 3 years ago and my YT is fat and happy and about to get a bigger home, from 46 to 75. I took a chance on this fish and now well rewarded for it.

REEF 2020 2.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do not quarin, four years ago when I started reefing I added many fish straight from acclimating to my DT of 60g only lost one fish (PBT) with ick or maybe velvet, pulled out to put in a hospital tank to treat, he died next day. Never infected other fish for 4 years now. May work for you, some people here have large tanks with thousands$ in fish and is super risky for them. I have been doing fresh water for 40 years and never quar and only a few got sick and died. If the fish are fed properly, maintain good water quality and test daily for at least 1 year the fish can fight parasites on their own. The ocean reefs also have parasites and the fish are thriving. Good luck with yours. As of now I am upgrading my 46 Bowfront reef to 75g with 30g sump.

You are the exception not the rule.

The new person has no clue what a healthy fish looks like.
They like all newcomers they see a cool looking fish and buy it.
Could have cloudy eyes and white spots and think yea cool I will name him Zombie.
They have no expieriance or skill to see the problems.

Chances are the new person does not have a stable healthy tank as well.
Yea the parameters tested fine just now but in a 10g nano something could change within minutes.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the exception not the rule.

The new person has no clue what a healthy fish looks like.
They like all newcomers they see a cool looking fish and buy it.
Could have cloudy eyes and white spots and think yea cool I will name him Zombie.
They have no expieriance or skill to see the problems.

Chances are the new person does not have a stable healthy tank as well.
Yea the parameters tested fine just now but in a 10g nano something could change within minutes.
Yes you are so true, I neglected to realize what you say is what I should also mention. Yes you have too know all these things but even if a fish looks super healthy can still harbor parasites and other diseases. I am sorry for not being more specific and maybe should not encourage new reefers to skip quar, just like them to know that it can be done if you have to.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to my local Petco and they had a young girl who is a reefer and was very smart, I got some good fish and corals 4 years ago that I still have. Well she stopped working there because other people would mess up the tanks when she was off, just after that I seen this Yellow Tang, skinny and shredded fins, I complained to the manager and I managed to get him for about ten dollars, well that was over 3 years ago and my YT is fat and happy and about to get a bigger home, from 46 to 75. I took a chance on this fish and now well rewarded for it.

REEF 2020 2.jpg
This is an edited post,
I was going to my local Petco and they had a young girl who is a reefer and was very smart, I got some good fish and corals 4 years ago that I still have. Well she stopped working there because other people would mess up the tanks when she was off, just after that I seen this Yellow Tang, skinny and shredded fins, I complained to the manager and I managed to get him for about ten dollars, well that was over 3 years ago and my YT is fat and happy and about to get a bigger home, from 46 to 75. I took a chance on this fish and now well rewarded for it.

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to my local Petco and they had a young girl who is a reefer and was very smart, I got some good fish and corals 4 years ago that I still have. Well she stopped working there because other people would mess up the tanks when she was off, just after that I seen the poor, skinny and shredded fins, I complained to the manager and I managed to get him for about ten dollars, well that was over 3 years ago and my YT is fat and happy and about to get a bigger home, from 46 to 75. I took a chance on this fish and now well rewarded for it.

REEF 2020 2.jpg
I absolutely agree, if they’re in dire need, but my reason for not buying from Petco supports them! All good, but if you have an opportunity not to buy from them you should take it!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely agree, if they’re in dire need, but my reason for not buying from Petco supports them! All good, but if you have an opportunity not to buy from them you should take it!
I agree, I will not buy any livestock from them again. I just got lucky then, right time/right place. If I need dry goods then maybe, but I support my LFS "Pisces Reef Fish Emporium". They moved locations a couple years ago and had a tough time getting re-established, but I still supported them because they are so good. That is where I got my 6" clam. I need to write the names of my animals because I forget. Here is my clam. What is it?

Clam10.07.2020.jpg clam2.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks so much again. Yesterday I was able to buy a regular clownfish, black storm clownfish, and fire red shrimp. Hey, just a quick question. Will I need an airpump for the fish tank. Im looking at various sources with some saying I need one and some saying I dont.
Pointing a powerhead toward the surface supposedly brings more oxygen into a tank than an airstone. But an airstone is fine too use as well.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Salt creep will damage anything it gets onto...walls, furniture, flooring...I avoid using airstones altogether because of the salt creep issue.

14acba849d0707.jpg IMG_6487.jpg salt creep.jpg

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really good to know. Thank you so much.
I tried a wooden air stone next to return pump to inject micro bubbles (supposedly to help corals). You don't get as much salt creep with wood air stone, but I did not see any improvement. If you need oxygen in an emergency this is how I would do it, at night time only.

Back