Am I driving my LPS Crazy (with Different Light Spectrum / Time of Day Lighting)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for those with Mixed Programmable Lighting and LPS Dominant Tanks.

I'm been trying to figure out my LPS and (clues point to a pattern I'm noticing) LPS opening and closing several times a day (Mostly Torches).

I've had LPS successfully for years. Never got into Torches as much. Frogspawn and Branching hammers was my preference (or available choices).

In the MH days, my Frogspawn, and Hammers were rich in colors and grew so fast I had to prune constantly to contain them.

This would be an example photo from that time. (Just two torches).

LPS-TankPast.jpg

Over that last few years (1-2), I converted FROM MH to Dimmable T5's and a Kessil and recently added an OLD G1 XR30.

With so much more lighting choices, I have the typical Dusk to Dawn, but now I mix in a variety of Different Spectrum for Variety. Various Intensity levels too.
Includes dimming in/out my Purple Plus T5, and Kessil towards full spectrum (a bit).

I can't seem to keep Torches (FAT Tentacles), and have actually lost some.
I do notice that the LPS open and close throughout the day (Different from typical Ramp up and Ramp down).

Tank is kind of struggling like this now.

LPS-Now.jpg

It's not terrible, but losing prize torches (like a Golden Aussie, or a Golden Hammer, Frogspawn) has left me to wonder what's wrong.

I feel I should get a PAR meter and ensure that LIGHTING INTENSITY should RISE from LOW, PEAK and STAY STABLE then Drop.

I think maybe LED lighting is too strong, but how that can be if I had 2x 150W MH before.

Has anyone experiences LPS (Unstable Lighting) reaction?

Or this this some kind of TORCH thing?

Last edited:

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white light spectrum on LEDs is very strong, and is normally the culprit with LED lighting if there is an issue. Do you have a schedule with intensity and color levels you could post up?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People messing with intensity and spectrum on programmable LEDs is the biggest reason people have issues with LEDs. You're asking the corals to constantly adjust to some arbitrary schema you've selected.

Ifreitas14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run more blues then I do whites during the day! The whites are very intense there only at 2% every one seems happy only thing is seems that the corals start to closes up a little before the actual lights go out!

D8E3F2D6-8990-4631-97E3-E89EF55593E5.png

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white light spectrum on LEDs is very strong, and is normally the culprit with LED lighting if there is an issue. Do you have a schedule with intensity and color levels you could post up?
I will post my schedule shortly. And my lighting Configuration (Types of T5's, 1 Pair Dims, and 1 does not)

I don't use much white and stick to the Blue side (Especially the Kessil), however the Kessil does auto blend in UV.

However, I just borrowed up a Apogee Quantum meter. (The basic Apogee, not the More Advanced full spectrum that includes LEDs blues MORE ACCURATELY)
First glance is Pars at Highest LPS placement is around 150. Then when T5's Peak 200.

WIll do a more extensive PAR mapping.

I still think it's the variations. I need to just ramp up, and stay PEAK STABLE, then Ramp down.
Possibly eliminate the Kessil going Higher Intensity Blue/UV at evening/

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run more blues then I do whites during the day! The whites are very intense there only at 2% every one seems happy only thing is seems that the corals start to closes up a little before the actual lights go out!

D8E3F2D6-8990-4631-97E3-E89EF55593E5.png
yeah, I dealt with LPS closing up before End of Light Day.

That's an indicator they soaked up enough light, and don't need anymore. (Overloaded)

The solution (in past) was lower Intensity, or PhotoPeriod. (since combined is the light Corals absorb).
KEEP LOWERING (either) till they stay open right till LIGHTS OUT. Usually Intensity is better to lower and keep PhotoPeriod around 8-10-12 hours.

LPS tend to stay happy, and open up and stay open (if they need to beg for more light, not shelter themselves from it)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery SOLVED (Maybe)?

At least this explains the Recent problem or the last few months.

I've been kind of busy and too many family distractions.
One of the reasons for not noticing this.

Finally got around to really spend some focus and attention on things. (TODAY)

Turns out one T5's in a pair was Fautling (but not right away).
It would turn on every time I checked, but shortly afterwards, it would fizzle out.
When that one T5' stopped, so did the other in the Pair.

Walking by I would never notice the PAIR OF T5's off, since either the Kessil was filling things in, or the other Pair of t5's were on (little dimmer but certainly not like all lights off)

I replace the T5's and now with all T5's on, I can really see the tank much brighter, and better full spectrum colors.

Now we will have to see how the Corals adjust, since for Months, not weeks they have been under lit.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back