★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my name is Wally.

Don't know how to start this Build Thread, since I have so much to share.
I'll do an intro, and see what folks are Interested in, and Expand, Elaborate, from there.

I've been enjoying the Reef Hobby for the last 20+ years. Started simple and kept going.

I'm an Electrical / IT Software Systems Engineer and this Hobby has drawn me for all the wonderful things you can do Technologically. I'm both passionate in DIY stuff, and the challenge of Reef Building.

This thread is about IN PROGRESSS REBUILT/UPGRADE That started Last October after a Basement Flood (not a tank flood but some in Wall Copper Plumbing). Nothing more perfect to convince Family and WIFE to start a new Tank. In return they got a nice Rec-Room Home Theatre, next to my office.

So in the thread I'll show some lead up to this last weekend (when I finally got my Rock Work Done). Perfect point at to start this Build Thread since Next will be more fish, and very shortly I'll start the Corals (which will be SPS ONLY).

All BUILD threads Start with a TANK....So here is my Custom Built Dream Tank. (arrived last year)

110 Gallons, 43 inches (not 46) Wide, 24" Deep, and 22" High. EuroTrim-Top-Trim, Starphire Glass (Front and Right), External Overflow. (Black Silicone, Except Clear on Right Front Corner)
25228597477_66a2690e70_z.jpg

Let's START with Today.

I just filmed my New Rock Setup. I've had these rocks for about 5 years, and after the Flood I put them in a Holding Tank to rid them of old residue, Algae Etc (IN A DARK TANK).

Here is the Tank in it's LOCATION (My Basement Home Office)

40469794061_117f82f114_b.jpg

Behind that Tank is my FISH ROOM, or Sump Room, or what I call my BLUE ROOM (Simple Name for Amazon Alexa Automation)

Another name I came up with is...

39083189940_95a6bc6f80_m.jpg

...Which is the Theme of this thread (I'll Explain more as I go on)

This room took me 3 Months to Build....It used to hold a 65 Gallon tank.

Here is a video of Part of the Build Stages.

I'll still doing some Final Wiring, and setting up Dosing for the SPS Tank.

The whole room is Controlled by an Simple Apex Jr (EB8's, PM2, VDM's, etc)

The Lighting Fixture for this Tank I build from Scratch, using Wood, Endcaps, Reflectors.....and it's connected to 4 HEP Ballasts (3 Dimmable).

39999042295_33fe0a3a7e_c.jpg

This time I spend hours planning and Days doing Super Neat Wiring, all hidden in walls, and Easy Acceess for maintenance.

SO THAT IS THE High Level INTRO.......Let's take a small step Back.

This is Just after the Renovation Started [NOV 2017] (Ripping out the 65 Gallon Tank)

39284287132_f45b2c52fc.jpg

And even Farther Back in Time...

This Photo show's my Past to Renovation of this room...THINGS didn't start this tidy.

24578603397_f778aeea5a_b.jpg

One more thing, that will be part of the New Build. (A complimentary DIY Controller)

34424778772_4c73bbcda9_z.jpg

Here is the back side with all the Features.
34586829825_ce3ae84dc6_c.jpg

It currently not hooked up, but was, and will be. (It does more than ADVANCED Dosing, it does my water changes, and more)

AND LAST but NOT Least....The DIY SUMP (with Built in Algae Scrubber)

Here is my old Design Spec.

42315006861_10a351a7e9_z.jpg

And Here is the First TEST run

Before I close this FIRST INTRO POST.

You may have or not have noticed, the SUMP room is a TWO SUMP ROOM.

Directly above that Sump room, and wired and Pumbled between two floors
is My 17 Year old 90 Gallon Kitchen Tank. (LPS Dominant).

27901389099_505560d1bf_o.jpg

That's it for my Intro. (kind of gives you and idea of where I've been and where I'm going)

BTW. I've Tried and Failed TWO TIMES with SPS (Long Story, but I found out a reason, ....so hoping things go well this time)

I'll share more, as I continue this Journey....Which starts in about week when I start bringing in a Few Test SPS Frags.....and if they do well, more SPS.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent write up Wally and great pictures!

I’m certainly following along your build thread and the 17 years old tank is beautiful!

Oh and keep up with the pictures! Lol

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shaun, Caveman,

Welcome to this Build Thread.
Thanks for the Compliment. Trying to hold back on Details IN THIS THREAD since I TEND to over do it.
Trying to keep my updates, brief, and just the major updates. I have another thread where I do all my over detailed posts (and Out Loud Thinking/Brainstorming)
Wally.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Way Reef2Reef Editor allows to Embed Videos into the Post.

So here are a couple more Video's from Past.

The DIY AUDIUNO Controller (highlighting the Dosing Function)

and the Same Controller (with SOFTWARE / and SUMP Water Change Compartment) for AUTOMATED Water CHanges.

And a Couple of FUN VIdeo Projects (Done my Me and Son). Using Past Tank, Gear, Time Lapse PHotograph, and a Algae Bloom OUt of Contro..... a STAR WARS Parody (mini Movie).

PART 1

PART 2 (Part 3 and ending not yet done)

And a Fallout Project from That Algae Bloom. (A Tool for Tank Cleaning)

And one more.

This is my OLD 65 Gallon Tank ( ROCK/Corals sitting in HOLDING TANK) Last Year just before this new Tank was Installed. (Video shot under water with IkeLite Camera Housing...Sound is from Inside Tank)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and rockworks.
How are the Yellow Tang, Flame Fin (Tomini) Tang, and the Copperband living together? Do they fight at all? How long have you had them together?
I would like to have the same combo but weren't brave enough to add them together.
Thanks for the Compliment (appreciate it). This whole RESTART has been a Ton of work.

The Yellow Tang, and Tomini Tang (one of my favourites) are original Fish from Old Tank. They have been getting along very well from the Start. Yellow Tang was first for a 3+ years Ago. Tomini 2 years+.

I had a Spot Breast Angel in that original Tank (but when setting up this new Tank, I left him out). He kind of got to big and was bullying everyone a bit. He is in the 90 Gallon Kitchen Tank.

The Copperband Butterfly is also kind of new. He got ICH many weeks ago when Place into my Kitchen Tank. I was lucky to get him out and did a TANK TRANSER METHOD to cure him of ICH. He get along very well since quite peaceful fish. (I trained him on Masstick Food and that's his favourite)

The other Fish in new Tank are a Sunburst Anthias, and a Mandarin Goby (been in tank for a few years, since I feed him from my Copepod Farm),
and ALL Fish (right now) ARE GETTING ALONG REALLY Well. A bit of nudging since all new Setup and Everyone is trying to find their SPOT in Tank ROCK WORK (I did make the Rocks with Lots of Caves, Crevices)

The is a Blue Green Chromis Fish that was donated to me couple months ago, and he is a bit of a pest (bothers the Sunburst Anthias, with AFFECTION, not AGRESSION).

And I just got these 5 CARBERRYI Anthias (Yesterday). They are in my QT Tank, and if all goes well will be added to the NEW TANK. (I got one that were eating FROZEN FOOD in LFS, so that's one step forward)

27439763167_491a2580e6_z.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really good write up @WallyB -- Detailed and clear. These are the kind of visuals that are valuable for people starting a project like this.
Hi Rakie,
Long time no hear. :)
Glad you joined this thread since your knowledge is always handy.
And of course your Frag collection is one of my envies....I have hope they outgrow your tank so someday tiny pieces become available for sale.

and thanks for that tip a while ago. Those anthias above are eatting Frozen but no harm in having a multi-nutirent diet. I tried a pinch of Reef Chilli in the QT and they went nuts. I read the ingredients and Chilli is good stuff...Vitamins too.

reefmutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Wally! You sure know how to put together a thread!
... and a sump room.... and scape... and light fixture.... and dosing system.... and reef ... and basement!
Following... although I’ve never been able to get notifications when a new post is added, so I’m not sure I’m really following..

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and a sump room.... and scape... and light fixture.... and dosing system.... and reef ... and basement!
Following... although I’ve never been able to get notifications when a new post is added, so I’m not sure I’m really following..
Ahh. Reefmutt (Matt) my SPS Guru Mentor. I am going to need you badly soon.

As far as get notices. Make sure you are WATCHING THREAD, then make sure you are logged in and That your Email in profile is correct. If that is good then you should get a notice everytime someone posts.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@reefmutt if you feel you do not get notifications, check your watched threads list here for missed notifications:

https://www.reef2reef.com/watched/threads

EDIT: @WallyB beat me to it!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Caveman. That link is handy.

Caveman is a interesting Alias since my fish tank area is my peaceful, inspiring MAN CAVE

Caveman is a nickname I have had for 30 years. I used to have really long hair and a full beard. Captain Caveman!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOAH!!! (3 Anthias Died....Just like Instantly)

This blows me away. Just before Baseball Practice, all 5 were swimming.

They were eating constantly since I got them yesterday.

I get back from Baseball 3 hours later and only 2 swimming, 3 lying on the bottom of QT.

40528530880_8cf79e71dc.jpg

They did come from 1.014 Salinity System, so I did acclimatize a bit more longer to get up to 1.024 (not baggie method) but a Small Container that I kept topping up and empting (about 1 hour, 6-7 top ups).

Last night I read they need to be VERY SLOWLY acclimatized. 4 Hours. (however since they were doing Great, I thought my 1 hour was enough)

If the two make it till tomorrow, I'll get 3 more since I really want a group of these (and eating Anthias an not easy to come by).

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signed on
Hi Marty,
Welcome to the thread.

Too bad about the Anthias, I just got my flashlight and am going to check if the Black Cap Basslet is still alive under the rocks. (I need more Nutrient Load if I'm want to Start some SPS frags).

Hoping the 2 Anthias make it. If they don't no point in trying more. LFS store told me they came from a shipment two week ago.
If they do make it, then maybe that's the roll of the dice Ratio thing with Anthias. Maybe a few more will get me at least 4-5 for DT.
If they are that sensitive, I'm going to drip the newbies, and Again going into DT.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caveman is a nickname I have had for 30 years. I used to have really long hair and a full beard. Captain Caveman!
Cool Nickname. Easy to remember too. I'm really bad with the Alias/Name Translation (Actually really bad with Remembering names in general)

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back