Am I feeding enough ?

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I have a new enough reefer 350 up and running 2 months now.

Stock list: 2 Clowns, 3 green chromis, 1 banggai cardinal, 1 midas blenny, 1 crosshatch goby, 1 carpenter wrasse, 1 royal gramma. All the fish are still young.

CUC wise, 13 snails, 2 shrimp, 1 urchin, 1 brittle starfish 5 hermit crabs, 1 (tiny) green emerald crab

Anyway, I'm only feeding 1 cube of froze brine/mysis in the morning then a pinch of pellets and flakes in the evening

does this sound about right or maybe another cube?

They tend to eat the food I put in within 2/3mins.

thanks

plasma327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them what they will consume. Let them limit them selves. Not you limiting them. I have 2 tangs 2 clowns two yellow tail damsels, blenny and 2 madarin gobeys . In the morning they get two cubes. One Piscine Energies Calanus and a Cube of Reef Frenzy And a sheet of Nori. This is about 10:30 am. Between 4 and 5 pm they get the same but also add a cube of Mysis to the other two cubes. Another sheet of nori. It all gets eaten in about 5 mins. Our fish are completely dependent on us for nutrition. Happy healthy well eating fish are far less like to ever get disease or become ill. I have been reefing since 1995 and never lost a fish to disease or malnutrition. FEED THEM !!!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If they can consume it all in under 2 minutes, consider another cube feeding daily
Add a couple other foods to the diet

- spirulina brine shrimp
- flake food

Sounds like good water management going on

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed omega one flakes in the morning
Hikari brine in afternoon
And vitamin enriched mysis in the evening

Is this enough

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember fish are poikilotherms. That is their body temperature is the same as their environment. Warm blooded (my spell checker hates the correct term) organisms spend about 90% of their energy budget maintaining their body temperature. Fish and invertebrates can thrive on very little food.

I don’t feed my fish that much and they are all quite rotund. I have a blue chromis (Carribean species) and it is more rotund than the wild ones I see whilst I am scuba diving.

I believe the major gauge for fish health is the fish being highly active, alert, well colored, and plump. If your fish check those boxes, their food is probably good.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back