advice on stocking list

toekietoekie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Everybody that starts with reef tanks has probably asked themselves the same questions at some point and posted about it, so today it's my turn.
I have a 1200 liter (320 gallon) tank that I want to convert to a reef tank. I am currently planning everything out before starting to buy stuff. The thing I am working on right now is my stocking list. I would like to have a relatively peacefull tank without too much trouble with aggresion. Of course fish that set up a small territory and defend this would not be a problem, I just don't want to see fish bullying everyone and everything in the tank. It would be a tank with mostly soft corals and maybe 2 or 3 LPS.

my current fish list is:
- fire goby (5)
- banggai cardinal (8)
- royal gramma (3)
- ocellaris clown (2)
- powder brown tang (1)
- foxface rabbitfish (1)
- lawnmower blenny (1)
- Chrysiptera hemicyanea (15)
- yellow watchman goby (1)
- mandarin fish (2)
- copperbanded butterflyfish (1) (frozen food acclimatised)
- flame angelfish (1)
- six line wrasse (1)
- yellowhead jawfish (3)

inverts:
- pistol shrimp
- brittle stars
- cleaner shrimp (2)
- tuxedo urchin (2-3)
- hermit crabs
- snails

The things I am a bit worried about are the banggai cardinal's, I have read that they ussually don't last too long in a group. My thinking was that if I got a group that was captive bred and togheter all the time they might get allong better and any aggresion would get diffused because of the size of the tank. Is this reasonable or would it become a slaughter?

I think the most aggresive fish would be the six line and the flame angel, would they be doable in this tank or should I stay away from them?

I believe the mandarins should only go in once I have a stable pod population, the tang, sixline and angelfish only when the other fish are established? Other things I should look out for when adding fish?

My girlfriend is also absolutely in love with feather dusters, is it possible to keep them in a tank like this? I would again be most worried about the six line and the flame angel I think?

Are there any other obvious things I missed? Other cool additions you can think of? I am completely new to saltwater so any advice is welcome.

Thanks a lot!

OP
OP
T

toekietoekie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Everybody that starts with reef tanks has probably asked themselves the same questions at some point and posted about it, so today it's my turn.
I have a 1200 liter (320 gallon) tank that I want to convert to a reef tank. I am currently planning everything out before starting to buy stuff. The thing I am working on right now is my stocking list. I would like to have a relatively peacefull tank without too much trouble with aggresion. Of course fish that set up a small territory and defend this would not be a problem, I just don't want to see fish bullying everyone and everything in the tank. It would be a tank with mostly soft corals and maybe 2 or 3 LPS.

my current fish list is:
- fire goby (5)
- banggai cardinal (8)
- royal gramma (3)
- ocellaris clown (2)
- powder brown tang (1)
- foxface rabbitfish (1)
- lawnmower blenny (1)
- Chrysiptera hemicyanea (15)
- yellow watchman goby (1)
- mandarin fish (2)
- copperbanded butterflyfish (1) (frozen food acclimatised)
- flame angelfish (1)
- six line wrasse (1)
- yellowhead jawfish (3)

inverts:
- pistol shrimp
- brittle stars
- cleaner shrimp (2)
- tuxedo urchin (2-3)
- hermit crabs
- snails

The things I am a bit worried about are the banggai cardinal's, I have read that they ussually don't last too long in a group. My thinking was that if I got a group that was captive bred and togheter all the time they might get allong better and any aggresion would get diffused because of the size of the tank. Is this reasonable or would it become a slaughter?

I think the most aggresive fish would be the six line and the flame angel, would they be doable in this tank or should I stay away from them?

I believe the mandarins should only go in once I have a stable pod population, the tang, sixline and angelfish only when the other fish are established? Other things I should look out for when adding fish?

My girlfriend is also absolutely in love with feather dusters, is it possible to keep them in a tank like this? I would again be most worried about the six line and the flame angel I think?

Are there any other obvious things I missed? Other cool additions you can think of? I am completely new to saltwater so any advice is welcome.

Thanks a lot!
Up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back