Amino acids

wake122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed any difference in their zoas after using any amino acids? I've heard from a few people that it will help color them up. Anyone have any similar results?

Jesmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
subb. also curious on this subject i just added amino to my tank the first time tonight =]

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely helped color up my SPS but I haven't noticed much of a difference in my zoas. I use flatworm stop and fuel at the moment. I have noticed my phosphates will steadily creep upwards with use. I use lanthanum chloride to keep them in check.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amino acids sold for aquarium use, as amino acids only, don't have phosphates.
Yes, amino acids can be absorbed by the zoas and will contribute to their tissue formation and possibly some pigmentation. Dose much less than the bottle recommends 3 times a week or something like that. Like anything else you need to expect results in the long run. See that as a complimentary to what they need for basic metabolism and not as a primary source of energy.

madatom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose amino acid, zooplankton, and reef roids into a mixture that I target feed and/or broadcast feed every 2-3 weeks. All my softies and sps seems to do really well. My LPS always seemed big and continues to grow, but I've noticed more babie heads sprouting. Could be a coincidence. I also sometimes add phytoplankton into the mix.

Also, when do feed, I turn off the protein skimmer for a few hours. In fact, been turning it off during the day too. Need dirty water to prevent dino outbreak again.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palys and Zoas want protein and nitrates in the water column to grow really well. At least in my experience. Nitrate gets rapidly absorbed in my paly heavy tanks at an absurd rate.

Doesnt matter how they get it. Any protein heavy food contains aminos. Reefroids and similar products are just an expensive form of protein. None of high end sellers I buy from use aminos.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of high end sellers I buy from use aminos.

I find this hard to believe that “NONE” of them dose aminos. Jason Fox and WWC both use aminos that I can name off the top of my head.

Aminos add drastic amounts of color to SPS in particular. It’s hard for me to believe that the people you buy coral from don’t ever dose aminos.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palys and Zoas want protein and nitrates in the water column to grow really well. At least in my experience. Nitrate gets rapidly absorbed in my paly heavy tanks at an absurd rate.

Doesnt matter how they get it. Any protein heavy food contains aminos. Reefroids and similar products are just an expensive form of protein. None of high end sellers I buy from use aminos.
So you can feed protein to your fishes more often, right? Then you get more phosphates coming into the system as well.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this hard to believe that “NONE” of them dose aminos. Jason Fox and WWC both use aminos that I can name off the top of my head.

Aminos add drastic amounts of color to SPS in particular. It’s hard for me to believe that the people you buy coral from don’t ever dose aminos.
Yes, aminos are great!!! And a "clean and to the point" way to supply through absorption.

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can feed protein to your fishes more often, right? Then you get more phosphates coming into the system as well.
I keep my phosphates at proper levels like other reefers know how to.

I can't keep nitrate or P04 in my main zoa/paly tanks because it's absorbed too fast. I actually have to dose it with fluorish to keep P04 elevated.

Last edited by a moderator:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never bought from either because the vendors I buy from are local, reputable and don't Photoshop their Corals like WWC and JF do. Charging $80 for a coral that's heavily photoshopped and I can get locally for $10 doesn't impress me.

I give paly / zoa encrusted rocks to my local reef store constantly ...like rocks with 150 heads of purple hornets and nirvanas because I don't have room and they are growing too fast. Throw it in a bucket and give it to them, and I have to dose nitrate and P04.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WWC uses Brightwell Aquatics Coral Amino in their tanks

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aminos are really good to be dosed in small quantities and will make your system thrive in the long run. It will make the zoas stronger, more colorful and reproducing faster. It's a complementary nutrition that helps us to keep the zoas healthier because of the lack of zoo/phyto-plankton in our systems. It's clean and smells good too. LOL!

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back