Ammonia in RO water after sitting HELP

jdm85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having an issue where my RO water has an ammonia reading of .50 after sitting in holding container.

My RODI system has x2 chloramine blaster carbon filters to help cutdown the Chlorine/Ammonia in my city water. When I test for Ammonia in my freshly filtered RO water I get a reading of 0 with both Salifert and API test kits.

When the fresh water sits for a day or two in a bucket or my brute trash can I then get an ammonia reading of .50.

Thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm having an issue where my RO water has an ammonia reading of .50 after sitting in holding container.

My RODI system has x2 chloramine blaster carbon filters to help cutdown the Chlorine/Ammonia in my city water. When I test for Ammonia in my freshly filtered RO water I get a reading of 0 with both Salifert and API test kits.

When the fresh water sits for a day or two in a bucket or my brute trash can I then get an ammonia reading of .50.

Thoughts?
May be something such as film in the container
Add a pouch of chemipure to help purify the contents

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That was my first guess, I tested with a sterile urine sample jar and same results
What test kit are you using?

OP
OP
J

jdm85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using?
Salifert and API

I know API are known to ready .25 but my reading is zero with API with freshly made water

Also I tested for Free Chlorine and Combined. This is the results of fresh RO water

I know the city add chloramine to our city water. Maybe my RO is removing the Chlorine but not fully removing the ammonia?
Cloramine.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you why but I can say that mine also has a ammonia smell after it sits in my brute mixing station. I never bothered to test it though. After I mix salt into it I no longer notice the smell.

OP
OP
J

jdm85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you why but I can say that mine also has a ammonia smell after it sits in my brute mixing station. I never bothered to test it though. After I mix salt into it I no longer notice the smell.
I don't get any ammonia reading when I add to my tank but even with large water changes my nitrate don't go down as much I'd like. My thoughts are because I'm adding water that has ammonia and the nitrogen cycle is quickly converting to nitrate this being the cause of nitrate always staying higher than I'd like 15ppm

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get any ammonia reading when I add to my tank but even with large water changes my nitrate don't go down as much I'd like. My thoughts are because I'm adding water that has ammonia and the nitrogen cycle is quickly converting to nitrate this being the cause of nitrate always staying higher than I'd like 15ppm
I'm not sure how much ammonia it takes to convert to a specific amount of nitrate, but your logic seems reasonable. I have to dose nitrates to keep them up so in case the extra nutrients are welcome.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had a brute that was so bad I told my daughter to clean her cat’s litter box to find it was the brute container

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back