Ammonia in shipping bags

flyingfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if anyone besides myself has ever checked the ammonia in shipping bags for fish. Am passionate about them as you all are, and decided to check (never did before). I knew they came from a. Great place, packing was perfect, temp was 80.9. They shipped overnight. Ammonia is 3.0-4 in the bag. I would worry if they were going to be in there longer than overnight. I worry anyways :). Just curious. There was not a ton of shipping water was the only thing I noticed. There are 2 clowns in the bag, 1.5-2". They seem fine just hanging out in the current right now. Hoping they venture out some. Thanks

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the thing about shipping fish. They should not be fed prior to shipping (purging) to avoid the dangerous ammonia levels in the bags.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not as dangerous as you would think during shipping. When the bag is sealed CO2 cannot escape, which drops the ph. At a certain point ammonia isn't toxic at a low ph. However, once the bag is opened the CO2 can escape, the ph rises, and the ammonia becomes dangerous. Because of this, it is important to not have a long acclimation process.

AQSstudent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many wholesalers recommend to not acclimate fish after they ship for over 12-24 hours.

Fish, in the confined space of a plastic shipping bag, can produce quite a bit of ammonia - even if they haven't been fed prior.

Fortunately, fish also produce quite a bit of CO2.

Why would co2 be a good thing? Well, CO2 forms carbonic acid in ocean water which drives the pH down, as we all know. With a pH substantially lower than that of natural seawater, all the ammonia the fish produces during shipping ionizes, or turns into ammonium - which is substantially less toxic, at least during the short time during shipping.

When fish in their bag water are exposed to a drip acclimation or atmospheric oxygen levels, the CO2 in the water offgasses, and the pH rises - leading to ammonium turning into ammonia.

This swift spike in ammonia can cause certain death for fish that are left to acclimate for too long.

Long story short - there will be high ammonia levels in the shipping bags they are in, but as long as they are removed from their bag water in a timely fashion the ammonia should naturally not pose too great of a threat to them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not as dangerous as you would think during shipping. When the bag is sealed CO2 cannot escape, which drops the ph. At a certain point ammonia isn't toxic at a low ph. However, once the bag is opened the CO2 can escape, the ph rises, and the ammonia becomes dangerous. Because of this, it is important to not have a long acclimation process.
Thank you.

Many wholesalers recommend to not acclimate fish after they ship for over 12-24 hours.

Fish, in the confined space of a plastic shipping bag, can produce quite a bit of ammonia - even if they haven't been fed prior.

Fortunately, fish also produce quite a bit of CO2.

Why would co2 be a good thing? Well, CO2 forms carbonic acid in ocean water which drives the pH down, as we all know. With a pH substantially lower than that of natural seawater, all the ammonia the fish produces during shipping ionizes, or turns into ammonium - which is substantially less toxic, at least during the short time during shipping.

When fish in their bag water are exposed to a drip acclimation or atmospheric oxygen levels, the CO2 in the water offgasses, and the pH rises - leading to ammonium turning into ammonia.

This swift spike in ammonia can cause certain death for fish that are left to acclimate for too long.

Long story short - there will be high ammonia levels in the shipping bags they are in, but as long as they are removed from their bag water in a timely fashion the ammonia should naturally not pose too great of a threat to them.
Thank you.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back