Shipped fish came in nearly dead, Will it survive????

jjrambo124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I recently purchased a Melanarus wrasse that arrived yesterday. Upon opening the bag I noticed the fish floating upside down. I thought it was dead, but then I noticed it breathing and swimming, however very unbalanced. It seemed like it was a swimbladder issue and on the verge of death.

I acclimated him and put him in the tank, thinking he would just float away, and die soon. Instead he swam nearly perfectly around then towards the bottom, then buried itself.
I was worried he died overnight, so I sifted through the sand the next day and found him. At first I thought he died, yet he swam perfectly away then buried himself again.

Is all this normal or should I be concerned that he will die soon? Has anyone gotten a fish shipped and acted like this? The fact that he is swimming perfectly means his swim bladder is fine, right??? He has not left the sand, Will he ever??

Thank you all for your help. He is absolutely beautiful I'm praying he lives. We are now over 24 hours in...

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let him hide, shipping is very stressful. Did you contact the vendor to let them know and get their advice?

OP
OP
J

jjrambo124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let him hide, shipping is very stressful. Did you contact the vendor to let them know and get their advice?
Ok, will do.
Yes I contacted the vendor but they just asked how long he was in the bag for before acclimation.

I just don't understand how he can go from upside down swimming to completely balanced and burrowing.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, will do.
Yes I contacted the vendor but they just asked how long he was in the bag for before acclimation.

I just don't understand how he can go from upside down swimming to completely balanced and burrowing.
All my wrasse baggedcat lfs, or shipped played dead in bag.

Offer meaty foods and help them relax. If they're healthy, they'll pick on food that floats by. If not eating in 48 hours. I'd raise concerns.

OP
OP
J

jjrambo124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my wrasse baggedcat lfs, or shipped played dead in bag.

Offer meaty foods and help them relax. If they're healthy, they'll pick on food that floats by. If not eating in 48 hours. I'd raise concerns.
Ok thats good to know thank you.

As of now he just buries himself and has barely moved from this one spot.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two spot wrasse came in looking completely healthy, swimming and acting fine during acclimation. When I put him in the tank he hid…and did not come out for several days

I post this to let you know that even with healthy wrasses it’s normal for them to hide a few days at first. Just don’t bother them and they will come out when ready and hungry

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, will do.

It’s stress. The fish is caught, put in a plastic bag with some water, put in a dark box that the shippers probably bounced around, then you open the box and put him in a different environment. It will take a few days for him to get used to his new life. Take care of him, feed him and he should do well. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jjrambo124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys helped so much thank you. I will let him be and will update y'all on how he does.
He is a pretty big fish so I'm much more confident now that he will make it, just hope to see him a little so I can feed him.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys helped so much thank you. I will let him be and will update y'all on how he does.
He is a pretty big fish so I'm much more confident now that he will make it, just hope to see him a little so I can feed him.
If you have any issues, just post a question. Lots of people on here are more than willing to help you out!

JackBauer24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: so it’s been nearly a week now. First couple days wrasse was completely buried.
Now, he kinda just swims around for a minute, then lays against a rock. Almost like he’s looking to bury himself but gives up. Haven’t seen him eat but idk whether his progress is good or bad.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back