Melanarus wrasse issue

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a new Melanarus wrasse and a yellow Corris to my tank 1 week ago. I thought they had died since I have not seen either of them since. This morning I saw the melanrus his head was buried but the rest of his body was exposed. I thought he was dead and turned around retrieve my tongs. When I turned back around he was gone. Looks like he re buried himself fully. It’s been a week. How long can they stay buried? I know where he is should I uncover him or leave him be. As far as I know neither wrasse has come out a swam around since added..at least not that I have witnessed. I do have a couple of other wrasses. 1 mystery wrasse, 1 flasher fairy added when the Melanarus and yellow corris were added and a large checkerboard wrasse. I have had the checkerboard for years and he has lived with a Melanarus in the past without issue. The tank is 240 gallons.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your wrasses can disappear for weeks and be fine. I have two yellows in my tank. One of them hid for nearly 2 weeks at one point. When they're hungry you'll see them

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Melanurus stayed buried for 2 days when I first added him. My Leucoxanthus stayed buried for about 2 hours. My Garnoti stayed buried for 2 weeks and came out fat and happy.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Thank you. Never had one stay buried for a week and live. I won’t disturb him.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common for sand sleeping wrasses to stay hid for a few days, to weeks when first added. They will typically hide(stay buried) all day to come out at night to forage. Check the tank at night with red flashlight, bet you'll see them. When they are comfortable, and use to your lighting period(remember most of these fish are caught where the daylight hours are the complete opposite of our daylight hours), they will come out during normal daylight hours.

I've had a leopard hide for a month solid, only to appear one day fat and happy.

Totally not uncommon for sand sleepers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back