OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I decided it was time to upgrade my 40 gallon reef system to a 60 gallon reef system. So far everything looks amazing. However I had a random ammonia spike. I used to not have a skimmer or media reactor till now. The system had been running for two years! So it’s very well established. When I moved everything I even kept all the old water and moved it along with the sand. I added 2 new rocks and 2 more bags of new carribsea live sand.

When I switched everything over my 6 line wrasse went missing. I assumed he either burried himself in the sand or hid in a rock and got stuck there and possibly died. The tank has been running about 3 weeks and no sign of him! So I presume dead. I looked everywhere and can’t find him. This is my best guess of where the ammonia may be coming from. I have all kinds of corals, mostly soft. A flame hawkish, 2 clowns, a flame angel, a baby blue tang that’s less than an 1” big (that yes I know will outgrow the tank one day and I do plan to go bigger), a diamond back goby, a cleaner shrimp, 2 emerald crabs, 8-12 turbo snails, 10 nassarious snails, 1 tiger conch, 1 tuxedo urchin, 1 orange linka starfish, and 2 long tentacle anemones. Nothing is acting weird, all very very active! Everything is open and happy looking.

The day I noticed this I did a water change right away and my darn Hygger heater decided to act up and nearly killed everything in my tank! The heater was fully submerged the whole time while I ran to the store to grab emergency salt and some connections to my pump because I just invested in a RO DI unit instead of jugs of distilled water. I caught it when the temp hit 95 (I’ve since bought a temp controller eventhough one is built into my Hygger heater ‍♀️). The only thing that died from that disaster was my pulsing Xenia that I had JUST got. Everything else survived. I have a Refugium with Chaeto as well. The spike was before the heater incident anyways but I’m sure it didn’t help! I also got a few other new corals as I mainly had mushrooms before.

My parameters are:
Ammonia 0.5 on first day then 0.25 after change, then 0.5 again and did another change, now 1-2!!!!
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
PH 8.0
Phosphate 0.25
Calcium 33 (640) (I know this is high and that’s a whole other issue)
KH 8 drops 143.2
Magnesium 1260

I use top marine reef salt.

What can I do? I’m going to literally die if I lose everything… I’ve been dosing prime daily, I ordered ammlock (which I heavily read reviews on, it comes tomorrow), I purchased dr Tim’s bacteria starter which is on its way, and lastly I purchased a Red Sea test kid since the one I’m using is api and I’m questioning at this point if it’s accurate, which is also on its way.

Here’s my tank and sump.

IMG_7379.jpeg
IMG_7378.jpeg
Crisis officially averted! Dr Tim’s bacteria starter and just leaving things alone did the trick. Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Attachments

• IMG_7572.jpeg
    IMG_7572.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 40

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with earlier posts. Transferring everything from another tank doesn't mean your tank is pre-cycled. Most likely it was cycling again. The thermometer just killed more organisms resulting in a major spike in nitrogen byproducts.

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with earlier posts. Transferring everything from another tank doesn't mean your tank is pre-cycled. Most likely it was cycling again. The thermometer just killed more organisms resulting in a major spike in nitrogen byproducts.
It was very stressful when the thermometer spiked. Had to hold back tears in order to quickly save everything! It certainly didn’t help. On the bright side any pests (if there were any) probably died too haha! Now I have annoying spirorbid worms all over the glass again but on the bright side is a sign of safety as well.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
duh. Heater, not thermometer. Stupid me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back