Ammonium dosing

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting to try dosing an ammonium hydroxide solution as opposed to nitrates and see if I find any benefit.

if I want to make a 10% solution would 100g ammonium chloride into 1 L be correct? And then I would use

To dose .05 ppm to my system over the course of a day.

Is this reasonable/correct? Don’t want to mess up ammonium dosing obviously.

thanks!

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first have to figure out how much ammonia is in everything. Ammonia is not ammonium hydroxide solution, and is not ammonium chloride. What percent is your source? If your going by weight to volume 10 % solution would be 10 grams. I figure using ammonium chloride 14.8 grams ammonium chloride for100 liters. 14.8 grams in 100ml of water would be 14.8 %? 1 ml of water equals about 1 gram. This will get you to .05 ppm but is not 10 or 14 % actually. So really its around 5% ammonium.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also conditions dictate how much ammonia in there. What are you testing for? Based on how much ammonium you dose. I.E. you dose the .05 ammonium is only .003 ammonia. Based on arbitrary 6% ratio. @Lasse could link you a calculator for ammonia/ammonium ratio.

OP
OP
S

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on using the fritz ammonium chloride which according to the MSDS is 98-100% pure.

A 10% weight by volume solution should be 10 g NH4Cl per 100 mL, right? So a 1 L solution should be 100 g with 1 L of water.

I’m not trying to get the free ammonia up to .05 just total ammonia. I believe zooxanthellae should be able to use ammonium easily.

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on using the fritz ammonium chloride which according to the MSDS is 98-100% pure.

A 10% weight by volume solution should be 10 g NH4Cl per 100 mL, right? So a 1 L solution should be 100 g with 1 L of water.

I’m not trying to get the free ammonia up to .05 just total ammonia. I believe zooxanthellae should be able to use ammonium easily.
On the Fritz ammonium chloride container it says that 4.5 grams added to 100 gallons increases ammonia by 4 ppm. If you add .05625 grams to 100 gallons it will increase ammonia by .05. Decide how much you want to dose each day and how much solution you want to make and divide the solution volume by how much you dose each day, and then multiply that by the amount needed to add .05 ppm ammonia. If you want to more closely simulate feeding I think you should add some organic carbon like vinegar or vodka to the solution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Fritz ammonium chloride container it says that 4.5 grams added to 100 gallons increases ammonia by 4 ppm. If you add .05625 grams to 100 gallons it will increase ammonia by .05. Decide how much you want to dose each day and how much solution you want to make and divide the solution volume by how much you dose each day, and then multiply that by the amount needed to add .05 ppm ammonia. If you want to more closely simulate feeding I think you should add some organic carbon like vinegar or vodka to the solution.
So if I want to dose 5 mL per day from a 1 L stock solution, I would add 11.25 g to the 1 L stock solution?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back