amonia alert badges-do they work?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up my QT and rock curing stations. I am looking at these as options to have in the systems. Has anybody used them and if so, what has your experience been?

Thanks!

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used them in the past but never really gave them much credit for doing much. If anything I compare them to hydrometers.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one for free with something I bought and I threw it in the sump, but it's nothing I would rely on. Chances are, it wouldn't register before you were already aware of a problem due to corals looking ticked off
'

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of it. So it's a montior that you put in your tank to alert you if there are traces of ammonia?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a bunch of quarantine related threads that had nothing but positive things to say about it. I'm currently using one right now in my tank, need to test ammonia to see how it compares to the Ammonia Alert.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTkrausen-thanks! Well, I just ordered one to put in the rock curing station. SO I will definately follow up with this as well and let ya'll know how it goes. It was only $6 and thought that was worth a trial. I got a regular test kit as well and will definately compare to make sure that all is good.

Thanks!

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one in with my copepod culture to see if things went south. Can't tell you how well it's worked as I haven't had an issue with the culture and the badge has never changed colors.

CJ

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HA! So I guess no news is bad news with that. And seems to be working just fine. I guess with these things you don't ever really want them to "work". ;)

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For something like curing rock or a FOWLR, I would give it a whirl, but I just wouldn't trust it in an SPS reef or anything. The one I got for free (Who knows how old it was, so that may be a factor) said ammonia levels were "safe" a couple weeks after swithcing over to my 180, but when I used a test kit I was coming up with around 0.75 ppm. May be a good supplement to testing, but by no means a replacement. Just my .02

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Going to use it for the rock and I got scared off of using it for the QT, but we will see how it does on the rock, cuz I am sure there will be amonia present for me to check on. I will let you know and if it is good I will use it on future QT efforts.

Amici

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are effective for a couple weeks IME but only really trigger when you get HIGH ammonia content in the tank, which at that point odds are its already done some damage. IMO the best thing is to know your tank, test with a quality kit and visually inspect your inhabitants for signs of stress regularly.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing a few water changes this weekend, mine went back to yellow, so I assume its working correctly. I do have a brand new Salifert ammonia test it, so I'll try that and compare once it starts reading again.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back