OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Hope the job works out! And then a new apartment. I can't even imagine trying to move with all those tanks o_O

Whoa the wings, I mean fins, on Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis look rad!
Thanks! I’m really not sure how I’ll go about moving the tanks. I really wanted to move before the Petco $/gallon sales, but those are unfortunately done and gone for 2020. I’m definitely not bringing the stands, I’ve got my eyes on either cinderblock stands, or if money permits, muscle racks (god I want muscle racks). The 30 ish gallon tank is definitely not being kept, the dimensions are a bit too weird, so I need to either store it, or sell it (maybe I’ll look for somebody along the road haha). However, the following are on my move list:
- 2x 2.5 gallon aquariums (One is a destined Neicaridina tank, the other, leakier one is for Opae’Ula)
- 2x 10 gallon tanks (not sure what I’ll do with these? At the very least they’re QTs)
- 2x 20H tanks (Both are destined for holding saltwater broodstock)
- 1x 29 gallon tank (either a planted tank, or the macroalgae above tank sump)
- 1x 50 gallon rectangular tub (Not really sure what I want to do with this one. Goldfish tank? Giant brine shrimp+Parvocalanus growout tub? Otocinclus catfish/Neocaridina shrimp foot bath ala Dr Fish for helping with eczema????)

I’m just glad I don’t have to deal with moving a 55 gallon tank .

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made an oopsie. It's not a bad oopsie, it's just...annoying on my end because I didn't sanity check enough. Here's the updated dilution table. The same rules apply, 1/2 gallon or 8 cups, changing one cup then 2 cups then 3 cups etc. The explanation is that I forgot to run it through WolframAlpha and account for the previous day's salinity (ex. original formula was SG = (1.000(8-#days later)+1.020(#days later))/8, when in reality it should have been ( (previous day's final salinity)(8-#days later) + 1.020(#days later) / 8:
DaySG
Anyways, it's day 4, according to the table the SG is 1.016 or so, so in went the caulerpa! And also brine shrimp for I am a benevolent fish keeper.
4D35CBAE-F0B9-40CB-80CA-959565448736.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow lost the male endler today? I found it, colorful and stiff in the bowl. No noticeable injuries, so I’m going to attribute it to freak accident. Luckily, the female endler is still alive and kicking. However, this means I’m going to have to keep her isolated. I have no wish to lose her, especially if she’s pregnant. It’s the molly story all over again (somehow ended up with one female molly, and repopulated from there). The bowl is basically at salinity anyways now, so I’m just going to do 100% water changes whenever I make more water.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Endlers aren't like guppies in that they can live in full salt? Do you know of anyone who's done this before?
I've definitely heard of anecdotes. Like a lot of things in this hobby, I don't personally know anybody else who keeps endler's in saltwater. But, I know that they can live in saltwater due to the fact that I've done it before in a 10 gallon aquarium with a much higher acclimation rate (overnight). The fish did die eventually, and I believe it was a flow issue (too much flow, and not the right diet).

I KNOW I've read an anecdote about an aquarist who kept a colony of endler's in a mushroom anemone tank. The specific anecdote I remember, is that the endler fry would look for shelter, and then the mushroom anemones would curl up on them and eat them (morbid as that sounds).

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm leaving. I was so, so, so excited to have my build thread here and to share the joy and experiments that I was planning with you. I was excited to put my knowledge to good use, enough to post 2000 messages on this forum over a 7 month period and averaging out to around 10 messages a day with most of them helpful.

But I can't. I refuse to let my identity be hidden and shoved in a closet. I deserve better than that.

I'm still going to be around on other forums (including reddit) with the same username. I'm also on Instagram, and may eventually start a YT channel. Last time I shared any links, I got reprimanded and told to "not redirect traffic away from R2R". So I can't share where I'm going in case this post gets deleted. But my username is going to remain the same, and "ichthyogeek" is just a google search away.

If you want to know more, look up "R2R [a certain petition website]".

Last edited:

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do want to join the aquarium co op forum? its only freshwater also only fish related stuff is allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back