OP
Unthinkable

Unthinkable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been what seems to be an eternity since my last post, but things have been maintenance mode for the past months.

I lost a couple of pieces to neglect on elevated N03/P04. I switched from chaeto to Ulva in my sump and everything was doing well, until cyano started growing on/over the ulva, killing most of it. I switched back to chaeto and it's been great! I also added a powerhead in the fuge to agitate the water surface to prevent the cyano growth. I've had some great growth with a bunch of my zoas and shrooms. OG bounce is kind of just hanging out, no bubbles, not really growing, I'm hoping more stable parameters and a relocation will help.

I have a few new fish in QT at the moment, an ornate leopard wrasse, a lamark angel and a naoko wrasse. I think that should fill the tank up nicely. I might try a Lineatus again, but I'm more focused on filling the tank up with coral!

The biggest update to my tank is definitely my rockwork. BRS posted a bunch of Negative space aqua scaping videos and on the various FB groups people have been posting their attempts which inspired me to pickup some new rock and give it a shot! I started off with building pieces for the left side of my tank. I squished my existing rock to the right side of my tank to accommodate the new rock. after a couple weeks I added the right side of the rocks. Pics don't do the rockwork justice! It's pretty cool to see the fish swim in and out of the new spaces. here's a small video of the new rock scape. Please excuse the terribly blue video from my iphone (I even used my filter!) ! I need to retake a video with the lights set to a more white setting. The water was still a little cloudy from kicking up the sand.

Attachments

• 254C9C3A-2446-41C6-A242-290DEA004409.jpeg
    254C9C3A-2446-41C6-A242-290DEA004409.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 38

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2021-02-18_18-00-51_637.jpg

current FTS! new aquascape is complete! I'm pretty happy with the outcome. rocks are turning brown and the snails/tangs/blenny are going nuts !

Looking great!

OP
OP
Unthinkable

Unthinkable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally added a bunch of frags to my tank:
This is an interesting frog spawn, it waves like a Torch. I call it a Frorch? Trog Spawn? IDK it's neat-o
Frorch.jpg
My first designer zoas, some Little shop of horrors!
LSOH.jpg

Gold branching hammer
Gold Hammer.jpg
Miami Vice
Miami Vice Zoas.jpg
a splatter Frammer
Frammer.jpg
bubblegum rhodactis... super fuzzy! I can't get a great pic, but it's orange green blue with some pink
Bubble gum rhodactis.jpg
Pink Hippos
pink Hippo Zoas.jpg
blue green hammer
blue green hammer.jpg
Space Monsters
Space Monsters Zoa.jpg
My sunkist bounce shrooms split like crazy!
Sunkist bounce.jpg
Vendettas and solar flares
Vendetta and solar flare zoas.jpg
some TINY laser lemons
Laser Lemons.jpg
FTS! My new aquascape are showing some pink and purple spots! I'll be back to full coralline in no time!
FTS 3.6.21.jpg

Attachments

• pink Hippo Zoas.jpg
    pink Hippo Zoas.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Vendetta Zoas.jpg
    Vendetta Zoas.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Unthinkable

Unthinkable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally chose some spots to glue frags down. It’s been about 2 months since I re-scaped and everything seems to be going well. Most stuff is growing, except my clownfish like to go between hosting my utter chaos zoas and frogspawn. They get feisty in the frogspawn and break tentacles off. Unfortunately a tentacle landed on my dragonsoul favia stinging it pretty badly. It’s pretty beat up, but I’m hoping it’ll recover. Current FTS:
B5E7992A-7890-4BAD-8899-FBD57BE8AC11.jpeg

I went to a frag swap and picked up a few gems:

space invader pectinia mini colony
7E6A358E-8418-4F99-84A4-CB237FAC73B7.jpeg

Aussie Gold Torch
712DD09C-D05E-4684-B4E5-5A46FD48F7BA.jpeg

Hellfire Torch
227C191A-2FFB-4B0E-92C8-C57BA0B45240.jpeg

biohazard bounce still kinda ticked. I'm hoping it opens up more
40315B61-750A-4386-8CAA-86766C981880.jpeg

I blew my frag budget right out of the water this month, luckily my wifey came to the swap and was into picking out the frags.

My parameters have been somewhat stable, I've finally dialed in my ALK/CA/Mg dosing to be consistent every week. Phosphate is my only problem child usually hovering around .06-.1. I attribute it to the new rock is likely leeching. I expect it will lower as it becomes more established.

I'm holding off on SPS for now until I can get my P04 more manageable. I may also skip SPS all together and just stick to the high end zoas and torches I love so dearly. Wifey was eyballing a NY Knicks Torch and is open to possibly picking up a Holy grail torch if we can find one at a decent price so that's promising!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back