And now for something a little different ...

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated FTS:
20200426_213721.jpg

20200426_213730.jpg

Everything is in place short of restocking the chaeto and siphoning out the detritus.

The maxspect gyres seem to be all but dead. I've only hooked up one and it is making an an annoying sound. I'm going to try and adjust the settings to see if it goes away.

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took out the big camera to try and get some updated shots.

yellowsps.jpg

This polyps have been blooming nicely on this guy, but I have not seen a ton of growth.

zoas.jpg

I couldn't quite capture the color on these guys, but they are growing likes weeds.

Small Green Acro.jpg

The polyp extension on this coral has come along nicely. Similar to the others, I have not seen a ton of growth. You can also see the purple stylo on the side and the RBA in the backround.

Blue Rasberry SPS.jpg

This guy has been growing a bit and the color has developed beautifully. I think its called an Oregon Tort.

Hammer1.jpg

This hammer has rebounded wonderfully. I thought it was a goner a few months ago.

Purple Stylo.jpg

This guy snapped in half, but both sides seems to be growing well. The polyp extension and color are both solid.

IMG_3507.JPG

I struggled to get a more in focus photo of this mushroom. It's split once, I am hoping for some continued growth. IMG_3507.JPG

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple fish shots:

yellowcoris.jpg

This guy has made the transition well, but I am worried that the lack of sand is leading to these scale abrasions.

LeopardWrasse.jpg

I was super worried that the leopard wrasse would suffer during all of the tank transitions. I understand that they can be very sensitive to water quality conditions.

BlueFish1.jpg

The chromis continue to fare well and hog all the photo time.

Hippo.jpg

blondnaso tang.jpg

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the camera out inspired me to pick up a few more frags.

The very persuasive owner of @LAXAquariums talked me into a three pack:

20200518_160100.jpg

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Maxima Clam during one of LAX Aquarium's live sale post sale.
PSX_20200627_214232.jpg

On the way home I stopped by another store that I've never been to before. It looked like COVID-19 had done a lot of damage to the place. I bought a chalice (I think) that they had on consignment. It's definitely seen better days. I am hoping that some TLC in QT will allow it to recover.

Here's a crappy cell phone photo to capture this time and place:
PSX_20200627_214208.jpg

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thr COVID-quarantine might be getting to me.

I decided to take another stab at plumbing a bonus tank into my main system.

I set up a peninsula in front of my tank to see if I could deal with the additional footprint:
20200802_143143.jpg

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided this was going to be a softie tank with zoas, kenya trees, leathers and nems.

After fruitless searching Craigslist, I broke down and bought a kessil a360x. I've been using them on my office tank and really enjoy the simplicity, small form, and reliability.

I've also learned my lesson on buying crappy equipment with the idea of upgrading down the road.

20200802_143633.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm holding off on the big plumbing job to loop this tank into the main. That's at least a full day's job and I need to save up some more "reefing points."

Here's a prototype shop with the new light and a couple feeder corals that I'm willing to put at risk:
20200802_201146.jpg

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boredom is doing real damage to my pocketbook.

The desire to plumb these two systems together reached a culmination point this week:
Resized_20200807_201206.jpeg

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the eshopps eclipse overflow laying around from my early attempt at creating an external refugium. I also had ordered some orange 1" pvc pipes and tubing through home depot for another far off project that never got wet.

I needed a series of fittings, return flow locline, fresh pvc cement. This turned into a $250 trip to #LAXAquarium:
20200807_185823.jpg

I think I watched one two many of the aquascape videos on #BRSTV. I decided if this system was going to be centered in my room, it might as well invest in some specialty rock. LAX had what seemed like a good deal on the pre-dyed life rock, although I failed to calculate the added cost of it being wet.

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had drilled one aquarium previously, so I was not absolutely terrified, but thr thought that this whole project could get derailed by one inadvertent slip of the wrist was never far from my mind.

Of course it was 8pm and dark by the time I emptied out the tank, scraped out the remaining sand and got the drill out.

My wife showd up midstream to see if our dogs had cornered a wolverine, a bandsaw, and the world's worst accordion player. Needless to say, she wasn't a fan of the drilling noise.

Once I assured her that the noise was temporary and promised to make homemade chocolate chip cookies for the neighbors, I got back to work.

20 minutes, one flooded lawn, and some minor irritation later, I had drilled my second aquarium:
20200807_201700.jpg

I will give Eshopps credit for one thing: their drill bits are rock solid. Now I have something else to say about their instructions and video tutorials ...

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These instructions are terrible, poorly executed, and flat out wrong. I wish there was someway to report this to #Eshopps.

Nonetheless, I am a bureaucrat by nature and felt the need to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Here's the result:

Yes, you can see the majority of the water coming out down through outflow fitting. Unfortunately you can see a drop of water coming out every 3-4 seconds from around the fittings. Well, you could, except for the fact that my fuming led to an early termination of the video recording. Another version awkwardly captures the audio of a #BRSTV video that I was watching to figure out my pluming mistakes.

Thankfully I was able to search #Reef2Reef and found that I was not the only one with this problem. Big thanks to Crabs McJones for solving a problem two years into the future.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back