And then there it was! What has been your favorite reef tank hitchhiker?

What has been your favorite reef tank hitchhiker?

• anemone

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • crab

Votes: 17 6.1%
  • macroalgae

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • nudibranch

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • pods

Votes: 51 18.4%
  • shrimp

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • snail

Votes: 29 10.5%
  • sponge

Votes: 26 9.4%
  • starfish

Votes: 55 19.9%
  • other

Votes: 51 18.4%

• Total voters

Cajun86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best live rock surprise! What has been your favorite reef tank hitchhiker?

Far too often the uninvited guests in our tanks are pests and are not pleasant surprises, however, every once in a while, an interesting and maybe even welcomed hitchhiker shows up. Maybe it was a shrimp, a crab, a coral, a piece of macroalgae, or something else that you now enjoy as part of the ecosystem of your reef tank. Adding live rock to your tank can be a great place to find amazing new hitchhikers especially if the live rock comes directly from the ocean. Please let us know what your favorite hitchhiker has been. Also, please share any tips that you might have for maximizing good hitchhikers and avoiding bad hitchhikers.

Liverockrocks_Mantis.jpeg

Photo by @LiverockRocks; Mantis shrimp hitchhiker from the Gulf of Mexico

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCK_logo.png
NICE!

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess for me I think the most interesting cleanup crews are ones that self breed. Trochus snails are an obvious one, but I have a strong feeling that my asterina starfish (or whatever the true technical name is I forget, since I think asterina we call are not actual asterina?) and my limpets from reef cleaners website, are doing great work. They breed until they're at proper capacity to eat whatever they're eating. I like things that become self sufficient and expand or contract their supply to eat the waste or algae in the tank!

OOPS I read the question wrong. I thought it was best cleaners lol, but actually these two fit this question as well haha. These are commonly hitchhikers. The Asterina were hitchhikers for me but not the limpets. Those I bought 2 from reef cleaners website, and they have bred to be a lot probably 30-70 in my 360g. Maybe more since hard to count lol.

Last edited:

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my favorite was a small orange sponge. Also was also happy to find the brittle stars, collonista snails, baby nassarius snail, different sponges and small feather dusters.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's got to be the brittlestar I found this morning. I thought it was a bristleworm coming out of a hole in a rock, but on closer inspection it came to a point, waved about a bit and was then drawn back into the hole. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it sometime.

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This urchin showed up on some Tampa Bay LR....was really small and I didn't notice it for a few months until it got a little bigger. Never caused any harm and was good at eating algae. When there is a question about "bad" hitchhikers I've got a few...:confused-face:

IMG_6520.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
only hitch hikers i've had were a stomatella snail, and like 2-3 collonista snail. all either got eaten by my yellow wrasse, or died?

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cavalcade of good hitchers on my 8 pounds of TBS rock, including a red mithrax crab, a porcelain crab, and a short spine purple urchin in a three-way tie for all-time favorites.

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This urchin showed up on some Tampa Bay LR....was really small and I didn't notice it for a few months until it got a little bigger. Never caused any harm and was good at eating algae. When there is a question about "bad" hitchhikers I've got a few...:confused-face:

IMG_6520.jpeg
Like an army of gorilla crabs??? I still feel the good outweighs the bad, but that’s been rough. Your urchin is so cool. I’m about 3 weeks in. I’d be so happy if one pops up!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back