Anemone Acclimation and Trying to Prevent Moving

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this is not a superfluous post or what you thought it was going to be. Like a lot of people with bubble tip anemones (BTA) I have wanted them to stay in a specific region for various reasons from ascetics to not om noming my corals on walkabout. I started doing this method about 6 years ago and since then have not had one move with the exception on splits. In the past I have even been able to basically keep them in the sand. The method I have been using is to drill a hole in the rock I want them on, and gluing a "cross bar" this rock across the bottom. I have kept splits on premade rocks like this also until they had time to heal at which point I would give them away along with the rock. Since I have had questions about how long it takes BTAs to acclimate and how to prevent movement, I figured I would document it this time. I started with a cured (~30 days) piece of live rock and drilled a 2" hole through it. Of course I cured it wrong side up so despite my best planning, I am gonna be stuck with a white rock for a while. Because I like Hard Mode, I placed the rock directly in front of a powerhead at the bottom of the tank. I started with a BTA not from my tank so this was not acclimated to the tank conditions. So far after two weeks there has been no observable movement of its foot. Generally I like to wait three to four months before I consider a BTA happily settled so I will update this thread periodically. Obviously for this to work your tank needs to meet the basic requirements to keep a BTA. Hopefully this helps someone, if not... NO REFUNDS!

anemone.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this is not a superfluous post or what you thought it was going to be. Like a lot of people with bubble tip anemones (BTA) I have wanted them to stay in a specific region for various reasons from ascetics to not om noming my corals on walkabout. I started doing this method about 6 years ago and since then have not had one move with the exception on splits. In the past I have even been able to basically keep them in the sand. The method I have been using is to drill a hole in the rock I want them on, and gluing a "cross bar" this rock across the bottom. I have kept splits on premade rocks like this also until they had time to heal at which point I would give them away along with the rock. Since I have had questions about how long it takes BTAs to acclimate and how to prevent movement, I figured I would document it this time. I started with a cured (~30 days) piece of live rock and drilled a 2" hole through it. Of course I cured it wrong side up so despite my best planning, I am gonna be stuck with a white rock for a while. Because I like Hard Mode, I placed the rock directly in front of a powerhead at the bottom of the tank. I started with a BTA not from my tank so this was not acclimated to the tank conditions. So far after two weeks there has been no observable movement of its foot. Generally I like to wait three to four months before I consider a BTA happily settled so I will update this thread periodically. Obviously for this to work your tank needs to meet the basic requirements to keep a BTA. Hopefully this helps someone, if not... NO REFUNDS!

anemone.jpg
Thanks for that mate! :) Might adopt some of those learning points when I add some more BTAs to my nano next month!

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that mate! :) Might adopt some of those learning points when I add some more BTAs to my nano next month!
Let me know how it turns out. Basically you want to give them a rock with a deep enough hole that they can adjust how much flow and light they get by just extending not just by noping out and leaving.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how it turns out. Basically you want to give them a rock with a deep enough hole that they can adjust how much flow and light they get by just extending not just by noping out and leaving.
I'll keep you posted mate! :) Cheers

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock s now fuzzy as expected, clowns are still nesting powerhead… as expected, but RTBA has not moved.

IMG_2840.jpeg

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the rock. Spades work fine in softer rock. If it’s a harder rock, like that one, you can use the same hole saws you use for bulkheads.

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3346.jpeg

It’s all annoyed looking because it just split and I had to fish the clone out, but after 6 months directly infront of the power head it has not moved. For what it’s worth Clowns are still nesting on the power head. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3536.jpeg

I had completely given up on this pair but after 14 months they finally moved out of the powerhead and into this anemone. I guess it took them just over 6 months to decide they liked it. So much so they have been biting it and the coral next to it all morning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back